Epilogue

Cole was more than ready. He'd followed all the clues, checked all the signs, and he knew that today, this day, was when everything would fall into place. There was still the fact that he could be wrong, but Cole wasn't going to miss out this chance just because of a simple hesitation.

Vania's final message had been written in the letter she wrote all along, with a locket Vania had filled with her picture. 

He held onto the letter now, pressing it against his chest as he walked up to her grave only to stand in the very same spot he did all those days ago at her funeral. The sky was clear this evening except for the scatter of stars.

A cold breeze flowed past him every now and then, wafting his air and moving the grass around him. Cole walked on, eyes trained on his target.

When the time comes, I will meet you again. Were the last lines in a seemingly long handwritten letter and after every sign he followed, Cole could only hope that he was right.

The dead leaves crunched under his weight as he sat down next to the headstone, already clearing up all the weeds and extra grass that had grown in the short while he was gone.

In all honesty, Cole was close to taking up the job of the caretaker just for an excuse to hang out by her grave all night. "Hey, Vany. I'm back, although you probably already knew that."

There was no response but he'd learned not to expect one. Instead, Cole made himself comfortable and laid down beside where he knew she would be.

"I'm sorry I haven't been visiting. Lloyd showed me all sorts of jobs I could apply to and we spent the whole week checking out every single one of them." He chuckled to himself, resting his head on his arms. "You know, I understand why you were close. He's only intimidating at first but once you really get to know him, it's like meeting a whole new person."

"There's always been different sides to Lloyd. You just need to know how to unlock it."

Cole sat up so quickly all the blood rushed down his head. He could've sworn no one else was here, especially in the late hours of the night, and it wasn't possible for Vania to reply from her grave.

"Hello?" He called out just to make sure but no response came. "I'm hallucinating." Cole laid back down again, his head crashing onto the grass. "I can't believe it, it's happening. I'm officially losing my mind."

"You're not going crazy, Cole."

There was only one person who had ever said his name that softly. He should've recognized that voice sooner.

"Alright, alright." He sat up again, hands raised in surrender. "You guys got me. Where are the hidden cameras? Come on out now."

But no one moved and no shadows appeared under the moonlight. Cole was alone.

"My love, would you stop being so ridiculous?" The words were clearer this time like the very person speaking to him was right beside him. He scrunched his brows. What if— "Ow."

His hand had hit something in the air and Cole was quick to pull it away. "V-Vania?!"

"Yes, silly!" She replied like it was obvious and Cole was being a fool.

Maybe he was. "No. No, you're not real. You're not here. This is a dream! A trick!" Was what came out of his mouth but deep inside, a spark of hope had lit up.

A little voice inside his head was shouting that this was the moment, the opportunity he'd been waiting for and he should take it. Cole wasn't quick to trust that instinct. At least, not yet.

Perhaps he wasn't ready.

It took a few blinks and a rub of his eyes before he saw Vania's image come to life in front of him. She was as beautiful as ever, her hair still short from the last time he'd seen it, those bluebell eyes stared right back at him.