15 | Temporary Nurse...In Training

Hapless

(adj.) Unfortunate

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"I'm sorry, who's the nurse here?"

"Just because you're wearing the uniform doesn't mean you know how to do this."

"Would you prefer to do it yourself?"

"I would prefer to have a doctor do it."

The door to the bathroom opened followed by a soft click from the lightswitch inside as the room dimmed. "Cole, stop arguing with the nurse." Harumi warned with a chuckle to herself as she pushed her untied hair over her hoodie. "I'm sorry, Hannah. Vania's boyfriend is very overprotective."

The nurse cast him a glance through narrowed eyes and Cole wanted to snap at her to focus on the medicine he was injecting into Vania's system. "I can see that. Maybe you should get a pillow for his head, Harumi. The poor boy looks like he's about to pass out."

A series of laughter filled the room and Cole did not appreciate this one bit. So what if he wanted to ensure her full recovery? He wasn't going to take any chances, even if it meant questioning professionals.

He would've replied to that if Harumi hadn't thrown a pillow to his face with the words, "Catch yourself." Before she opened one of the many books that were laid out on the table that was meant for Vania's bed.

"Lloyd!" Cole whined, feeling like a little kid being bullied by his older siblings. In a way, it did feel like that but now wasn't the time to appreciate the irony.

The boy simply waved a dismissive hand in the air, his attention fixed on his camera. "Leave me out of this."

Harumi stuck her tongue out in his direction and Cole shot her a glare, the pillow in his hands a very powerful weapon had he not had the decency to interrupt the nurse from doing her job properly.

"Alright, she's good for another few hours and I'll come back to check on her by then." Nurse Hannah informed them, though Cole was aware it was directed to him, with a nod of her head.

She packed up the supplies she'd brought in through a giant medical cart and hurried towards the exit before Cole could even double check. He sat on the edge of Vania's bed with a sigh, the pillow still in his hands, and allowed himself to fall onto the tangle of sheets.

After draining himself of every possible negative emotion he could muster, Cole was fueled by this high of positivity that he couldn't seem to control. From random smiles at every person he passes by to a rush of hyperactivity that came from nowhere, he began to see things in a different light.

Or perhaps he had completely lost his marbles and this was the remaining cells of his brain making him function enough to keep him alive.

Either way, Cole was grateful that Vania was small enough to leave enough space at the bottom of the bed.

It had served as Cole's resting spot for the last few days now, even though he would've preferred to sleep right next to her. He had to remain strong for the sake of showing his respect to the two people that had probably been in this situation one too many times.

Although now that Cole thought about it, it sounded more depressing than he expected.

"If you really want to help, you can donate your blood." Harumi threw the suggestion out into the room, not looking up from where she had immersed herself in a section of her law books.

Cole sat up at that, turning his head to Lloyd, who had seated himself on the couch parallel to him, for confirmation. It surprised him how much in common they discovered throughout the three days that Cole had been here.