12 | Shielding The Pain

Forelsket

(n.) the euphoria of first falling in love.

A doctor's visit had been a part of Vania's life for more than the normal person. Instead of getting a check up once every three years, Vania had to go twice a month—but that was only during the lucky days.

Most of the time her presence was required at the hospital 24/7.

Even now, when she's on the verge of reaching the legal age, she hates going to the hospital like a little child refusing to do what their mother says.

"Do we have to?" She whined, resisting Harumi's strong pull on her wrist as she practically had to drag her sister out of their house and into the car. Though the effort itself hurt more than it should after just having finished pumping medicine into her veins through an IV.

It was a sunny afternoon, the perfect time for ignoring her parents' rules about going outside and hanging out with her new boyfriend. Unfortunately, that was never the case when it came to the things she wanted to do.

There was always a catch.

She dreaded this day already since it was the first time in a month that Vania had to return to the hospital for a check on how she's been doing—because just like her mother and sister, her doctor did not have full certainty on whether or not she'd been following her regimen.

What did they think of her? A child? She certainly didn't think so!

"Vania, we've been doing this for years. You know there's nothing to be afraid of!" Harumi said through her heavy breathing and Vania could feel her arm about to pop off the stronger she planted her feet on the ground. "Lloyd!! Help me!"

With a laugh, the boy stepped out of the driver's seat and approached them. Vania shot him a look, making sure her eyes were filled with pity, her lips forming a pout in an attempt to tell him what she couldn't say.

"Don't you dare."

"I'm sorry." His eyes seemed to respond right before he lifted her with ease and loaded her into the back seat as if she was a luggage filled with their vacation clothes.

She glared at him and crossed her arms, allowing him to buckle the seatbelt for her. "Traitor."

Lloyd shook his head with amusement. "I'll buy you whatever you want from the vending machine after, I promise." He muttered, making sure that Harumi wasn't within earshot before ruffling the hair she spent 30 minutes putting together.

She scoffed, already feeling some strands break free from their hold. Before Vania could even get a word out of her mouth, Lloyd closed the door and quickly made his way to the driver's seat.

Harumi sighed from the front, twisting her body to face her. "You know we don't have to unless it's necessary."

Vania had been faced with that reality for years now. At first, she understood their reasons and was more scared about dying than being injected with all sorts of medicine.

And even if she resisted going, it was for her own safety anyway. If she wanted to continue the life she was living now, and she was highly motivated to do so, then Vania supposed a simple doctor's visit wouldn't hurt.

"Yeah," She replied, nonchalantly, placing a mask over her nose and mouth followed by a pair of thick cotton gloves. "I know."

The least she could do for her sister was be compliant. Though she did prefer having Harumi take care of her instead of herself. It reminded her of her nurse, and FSM how she missed her so much.