Part 4 - LOVE IS IN THE AIR

Over the next few days, Ralph settled into the role of chief while Jack concentrated on hunting. Ralph had assigned the boys, and the two girls, to different tasks on the island. Some of them had been building huts for everyone to sleep in, and others had been gathering food. Ralph had pointed out that they couldn't eat pigs all the time. Ralph had decided that a fire must be lit on the mountain and kept alight at all times so that any passing ships or planes might see the smoke or the flames and rescue them. So, at all times, two people would be on duty guarding the fire and keeping it going.

Ralph and Dani also bonded a lot, which made Jack mad and jealous because Jack liked Dani too.

One day Ralph and Dani were alone on the beach.

''I wonder what Jack and Roger are  up to right now'' Ralph said as they sat side by side on the beach 

''Hunting pigs maybe?'' Dani replied

''I hope not, we can't keep killing the pigs, they will end up being wiped out and we will not have any more meat. We have to pace ourselves with the pigs, I told Jack that''

''Do you think he listened?''

''No, he never listens. Anyway I don't trust him and Roger, I worry all the time when they aren't where I can keep an eye on them'' 

Jack and Roger were swimming in the sea on the other side of the island

''Eventually, I will be the king on this island'' Jack told Roger ''I'll let Ralph be chief for a while and bide my time, when the time is right I'm taking over''

''Jack you know you have my support always'' Roger said

''Good boy'' Jack was pleased with Roger

''And what about Dani?'' Roger asked suddenly

'''What about her?''

''Well, when are you going to make your move? It's pretty obvious you like her''

''I don't know, I don't want to rush her''

''If you don't hurry soon I think Ralph might take her for himself!''

''No way you're kidding'' Jack was furious now ''He already stole chief from me I won't let him steal the girl I like as well''

''Why don't you go and find Dani now and ask her out on a date?'' Roger suggested with a smirk

''Ask her on a date? Where the hell am I supposed to take her, we're on an island remember, I suppose next you'll be telling me to book a table at a restaurant''

''Yes, why not? We'll hunt a pig just for you two, we'll set a table on the rocks and light a candle using some twigs. A romantic dinner for two''

Jack looked thoughtful

''Roger you're a real asset to me'' he said proudly ''it's really a good idea the more I think about it. Dani will love me after I give her a romantic dinner''

''And why waste any more time?'' Roger said ''if I were you I'd go and find her now and ask her for that date''

''Ok man I will'' Jack was thrilled and excited now

He got out of the water and rushed off to find Dani 

Back on the beach, Dani was sunbathing when Ralph stood beside her with his hands behind his back

''Get out of the way you idiot'' she said playfully ''You're blocking my sunlight''

''I have something for you'' Ralph said, nervous and blushing

He brought his hands from behind his back to show her some flowers.

''I went into the forest to pick them for you''

''Ralph they are lovely, I love flowers''

Ralph sat beside her looking very nervous

''I want to tell you something'' he said ''Well I know we haven't known each other for long and maybe I am an idiot to rush it like this but I think I've started to fall in love with you...I want to ask you, well if you want to, will you be my girlfriend?''

Dani could hardly hide her happiness and her original plan to play hard to get dissolved at once

''I've liked you since I first laid eyes on you'' she said and kissed Ralph passionately 

Neither of them knew that they were being watched...by Jack... from the far end of the beach near the trees. He had run to find Dani after Roger's suggestion, happy and excited to ask her on a date. He was sure she liked him and that she would say yes. But now he saw before his eyes that Dani was with Ralph and now Jack was furious and hated Ralph even more.