Part 11 - LOYALTY LOST

Ralph and Piggy were brought before Jack

''What do you want then?'' he asked them in a very hostile way

''I think you know what we want'' Ralph said ''we want Piggy's glasses back''

''Do you?''

''Yes of course we do, Piggy can't see without them you know that''

''You also want to keep your precious signal going right?''

''Yes right''

Jack sat back on his throne and put his hands behind his head ''Get me some lunch Roger'' he demanded ''some of the leftovers from last night's pig and a watermelon''

''Yes Sir, on to it right away Sir'' Roger said and got up off his knees and went to fetch Jack's meal

''Why should I care about Piggy's sight or the stupid damn signal?'' he demanded

''Ok I don't expect you to care about Piggy's sight'' Ralph said mournfully ''I know you are incapable of having compassion over that. But surely you see the importance of keeping a signal going? So that we can all be rescued? Do you want to stay here forever?''

''Yes'' Jack said matter of factly

Ralph was stunned by this ''Come on stop kidding man, surely you want to go back to civilization as much as I do?''

''Why? I don't see a reason why I should. There are no stupid adults to interfere, or treat me like garbage, here. I will be the king. Here I am in control, I have the power, this is my island and I own every boy on it''

''Well you don't own us'' Piggy said angrily

''But I own your glasses Piggy'' Jack said with a smirk ''from now on the glasses are my property and I will never give them back''

Piggy suddenly got down on his knees and knelt before Jack ''Listen Jack please'' he begged 'I can't see without them, do you know how scary it is to be blind Jack?''

Roger returned with Jack's lunch

''Here is your lunch Sir''

''Thank you, boy''      

''Why is Piggy on his knees, Sir?''

''He is begging for his glasses back'' Jack said with a chuckle and Roger laughed too

''Poor helpless Piggy wiggy''

''Please Sir, I need my glasses'' Piggy begged

For the first time, Jack was pleased with Piggy instead of just hating him ''Ah now that's better, you addressed me as Sir. Maybe you're learning at last Piggy?''

''Yes, Sir maybe I am. Ever since we first arrived here you've shown me you are superior to me. I guess I'm tired of fighting against you Sir. Now I'm ready to do what you want, I just want to see, I hate being blind''

''You'll do anything I want will you Piggy?''

''Oh yes Sir anything'' 

''Piggy stop it'' a horrified Ralph said ''Come on I know it's hard without your glasses but I'll look after you I promise, I'll be your guide. Being blind has to be better than this doesn't it? Groveling before him, being under his control? Don't you want to keep your self-respect?''

''I want to keep my sight!'' Piggy said, with sudden aggression in his voice ''I've always been a victim one way or another. If you can't beat em join em and that's what I'm ready to do now''

''You must be ready for some meat too Piggy?'' Roger said

''Oh yes yes, sick of the sight of fruit now''

Jack took some of the meat and dangled it in front of the kneeling Piggy. Piggy began to salivate

''Piggy if you want to be a good boy and join my tribe I'll give you your glasses back right now and I'll also give you some meat, how does that sound?'' Jack told him ''the only thing is every time we want to light a fire you will have to volunteer your glasses for a moment to light the fire then you can have them back. Ok?''

Piggy nodded his head meekly ''ok Sir''    

''Do you have anything you want to say to your King?'' Roger demanded

''Yes of course'' Piggy replied ''Thank you, Sir. Thank you for letting me join your tribe. Thank you for letting me have my glasses back and giving me some meat. thank you thank you''

''Well you will have to prove yourself a worthy member of course'' Jack said ''you will no longer be lazy, you must pull your weight the same as any other boy, and you will not be allowed to use asthma as an excuse either''  

''Yes Sir of course''

''As for your appalling level of fitness and being so fat. I'm going to put you on an exercise regime to make you fit and slim. Maybe put some muscle on you. If you are a hard-working pupil I will be very pleased, understand?''

''Yes Sir, thank you, Sir''

''Piggy please don't do this'' Ralph said ''you've been my loyal friend up until now''

Piggy looked guilty for a moment ''I'm sorry Ralph'' he said at last ''My mind is made up, I wanted to stay loyal to you but I can't anymore. It makes sense to join Jack's... sorry I mean to join Sir's... tribe''

Jack looked smugly at Ralph ''and now would you please leave our camp before I call my boys here to drive you out by force?''  

Ralph left, sad and dejected, to the sound of Jack and Roger's cruel laughs and taunts

NOTE - Yes, one of the most significant changes I am making is that Piggy switches sides and I don't kill Piggy off. Not yet at least, will I kill him off later or will he survive? You have to keep reading to find out as I won't give away spoilers! :)