Part 7 - TWO TRIBES

Jack and Ralph had been split up

''You two need to calm down'' Dani said while panting

''Tell him that'' Jack snarled ''he started it, I don't know what's got into him''

''YOU LET THE FIRE GO OUT!'' Ralph screamed in Jack's face

''So what?''

''THERE WAS A PLANE THAT'S SO WHAT! WE COULD HAVE BEEN RESCUED!''

''Is that all? If there was one plane that means there might be another one or a ship later, maybe next time they will see the smoke''

''That's not the point, I wanted them to see this time, I wanted to be rescued, I want to go home''

Ralph suddenly started to cry, he knew it was a bad idea to cry and show weakness like this but he couldn't help it, the emotions overtook him and he couldn't control it

''The longer I stay here the more I feel like I am losing my mind'' he said while tears rolled down his cheeks '' I want to go home and sleep in my own bed, have a hot bath, and have a haircut. I want to do normal things humans do and not be trapped on this island''

''You've lost the plot'' Jack taunted ''We need a strong leader, not one who can fall to pieces at the drop of a hat''

''We all know you want to be the leader Jack'' Piggy said ''but I find it distasteful that you would take advantage when Ralph is clearly having a bad moment to try and push your agenda''

''Piggy shut up''

''No, I won't shut up! It's about time someone put you in your place Jack Merridew you're too big for your boots!''

''I SAID SHUT UP FOUR EYES'' Jack yelled and pulled the glasses off Piggy's face

''GIVE THEM BACK GIVE THEM BACK!'' Piggy screamed in distress '' I CAN'T SEE WITHOUT THEM!''

Jack threw them against a rock and one of the lenses broke. Piggy cried in distress and the other boys laughed. Dani knelt down and picked up the glasses and handed them back to Piggy

''I can hardly see anything without them!'' Piggy wept ''now I only have one half left!''

''Are you satisfied now?'' Dani asked Jack, she wanted to hate him and be angry with him but secretly she was excited by him and she knew it and he knew it too.

''Not yet no'' Jack said ''I will only be satisfied when I am in charge. I say we have another vote for chief. Ralph has shown he is weak and wants to go home. I am strong, pick me and we'll hunt, have feasts, we'll have fun on this island. Who wants me as chief?''

To Piggy. Dani and Ralph's alarm more than half the boys put their hands up. Roger and Maurice were to be expected but some of the quieter boys and littluns who had stuck with Ralph until now suddenly voted for Jack, including Paul. 

Simon, Jenny, and Sam didn't put their hands up 

''Now I have the majority vote'' Jack said smugly ''Now I'm chief!''

''You can be chief if you want'' Ralph said bitterly ''but you're not my chief or Piggy's chief or Jenny's chief or Dani's or Simon's or Sam's. You and your boys can go away and form your own tribe and my tribe will stay together''

''Ok if you want it that way but we will not share any of our meat with you. Anyone who changes their mind, you know when you eventually get bored of eating fruit and listening to Piggy and Ralph bellyaching like a couple of old women, you can come and beg to be in my tribe and maybe I'll let you join''

And with that Jack, Roger, Maurice, and the other boys in Jack's tribe took their pig and left to live on the other side of the island 

A spooky silence fell over the island after all the noise

''Are you ok Piggy'' Ralph asked Piggy, who was still weeping over his half-broken glasses

''Yes one eye is useless now but I suppose I'll struggle through somehow''

''Exactly what I didn't want to happen has happened'' Ralph said regretfully ''we've broken off into two tribes''

Dani tried to comfort him but he pushed her away angrily

''I am mad with you right now'' he said ''Why did you leave the fire and go off hunting with Jack?''

''I don't know why he tempted me into it, I was curious to go hunting, I know I shouldn't have and I am very sorry, forgive me?''

Ralph was still angry but softened a bit ''Well I've already lost enough people today, I guess us two fighting won't help will it? Ok let's move on, I forgive you''

They hugged and kissed