Part 8 - JACK'S REGIME

The island was divided into two sides. Ralph's side and Jack's side. Jack's side, at the rear of the island, was suitably rougher and more intimidating than Ralph's side.  

A few days passed by. Jack's tribe was busy hunting and playing war games. During these games, there would be winners and losers, and the losers would be punished for losing. They would be beaten or hurt, the winners would grab their skin and squeeze and hurt them or a stick would be found to beat them with. Jack loved to punish and cause pain

Jack decided to make some rules to be obeyed at all times. He gathered the boys together for a meeting

''Kneel before me'' he told them and Roger got on his knees at once but the other boys were surprised at first and reluctant

''We have to kneel before you?'' Maurice said

''Yes, do you want me to be your king or not boys?''

The boys all nodded their heads

''Yes we want you as king''

''Then you have to kneel before me, if you don't want to you can go back to Ralph, your choice''

''Come on guys, just kneel'' Roger told them ''we have to show respect to our king''

Jack smiled with pride and patted Roger on the head ''you good boy, I will reward you later''

Roger was very happy. All the boys decided to kneel and obey their king

''So from now on you will all kneel before me during meetings and when you are being disciplined by me and so on'' Jack told them ''I think we will also have two hours of worship daily, you will all kneel before me and worship me and sing my praises, 1 hour every morning and one hour every evening''

Roger was rubbing his boner with excitement but the other boys were still a little shocked and uncomfortable

''From now on you will all address me as Sir at all times'' Jack continued ''if you forget it will be a punishable offense, understood?''

''Yes sir!'' all the boys said together

''Now there will be rules and punishments if you do not obey the rules'' Jack went on ''each boy will do his fair share of work, and no one will be lazy. If you want to be lazy you'll be punished. Everyone must share, anyone who is greedy, like Piggy, will be punished. We will keep ourselves clean, and wash daily in the stream, any boy who wants to be smelly will be punished and I will force him to wash. Now does anyone have any questions for me?''

''Sir, what punishments will we get?'' Maurice asked

''The simple answer is none at all if you behave and obey my rules. But if you don't you can expect a thrashing with a belt or a tree branch. Or you might be banned from eating for a few days, making you go hungry. Or you might have to perform extra chores. But for more serious crimes you'll face the punishment pit''

''The punishment pit, Sir? What is that?'' Henry asked nervously, it didn't sound good

''The punishment pit is the next task we have to perform'' Jack said ''we have to  dig it''