Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

May 28, 2011

"This is the place."

Sasuke stopped, looking around this seemingly random spot, in a random forest, on the outskirts of a random town, to meet a random informant. Nothing stood out as special,

"The middle of nowhere," Sasuke stated, dark brow raised.

"Hmmm," Naruto looked around as though second guessing himself before grinning widely, "yep, this is the place. We got some time before the informant gets here though."

Sasuke grunted a noncommital noise before launching himself upward in a single jump, taking up residence in a nearby tree. He could feel Naruto's concerned gaze, but knew the blonde would let him be for a time. Sasuke was a man of very few words, always had been, probably always would be, but even he realized his silence during their journey was one laden in darkness and a slow climbing aggression that had only increased as the morning wore on.

He'd woken up irritated and out of sorts, anything and everything aggravating his already agitated nerves.

The sun was too hot, the air stifling, bird chirped melodies a nuisance to his ears, Naruto seemed to sense his hostile mood and kept his normal chatter down to a minimum.

There wasn't much to say about their mission, they had already talked it to death, short of recalling this farce of a mission, talking wasn't going do a damn thing for him.

Right now, all Sasuke wanted was to get through this ring of Hell and prepare for the next.

It was all that he could do at the moment.

For the next few minutes he closed his eyes, focusing on the gentle wind that swept his hair from his neck, reaching for that coldness that usually carried him through the harshness of life. A signature of chakra broke through his silent meditative contemplation half an hour later.

His dark brows twitched as he assessed the approaching presence.

Sasuke wasn't a sensory type, but he was a seasoned shinobi, and any trained ninja of worth develop a sixth sense when in the proximity of another.

He opened his eyes, gazing into the nearby brush as the sounds of snapping twigs reached them.

Naruto moved below his branch, pacing in the direction of the rapidly approaching individual.

The informant entered the clearing moments later. Garbed in desert robes, head scarf and all, the tall humanoid looked lumpy beneath his fabric, unnaturally tall and maybe a bit segmented, the skin around his eyes leathery and beige.

"Uhhhh, you the informant?" Naruto asked, undisguised suspicion in his voice.

xxxxxx

When all else failed, when she felt her sexual deviance deemed her the filthiest pervert to ever perv, there was only one person she could think of to ease her panicky concerns, bolster her flagging confidence and help her feel comfortable in her own skin.

"Good morning Hyuuga-channnn!" her blonde confident cooed from behind her register, beckoning the scarlet faced woman with a wink and a curl of her her dainty finger, "I see you have another pretty blush for me, come and tell me all about what naughty Naruto did with that candle last night."

"I-Ino!" Hinata gasped, flush deepening, frightened eyes whipping around the flower shop.

"Relax, Hinata," she giggle, rounding the check-out and wrapping her arms around the shame faced woman, "nobody's up here. It's just you and lil ol' me. Don't be shy."