Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

May 29, 2011

"Sakura-san..."

Pink brows wrinkled, a coil of annoyance turning her lips downward. Sakura ignored the irritating sound, burrowing deeper in her comfortable nook and pulling the blanket up to her chin as she fought to returned to her peaceful slumber. A warm hand found her shoulder, shaking it gently, yanking her abruptly from her lull, and further rousing her temper.

"Sakura-san."

A low sound, partially groan, mostly growl, left her lips. She slapped the hand from her shoulder and slowly parted eyelids that scrapped like sandpaper. Afternoon sunlight blasted her, exacerbating the vicious throb that had suddenly made itself known at her temples. Her lips were chapped and stinging. Her tongue made a swipe at the uncomfortable flesh, but her mouth was as dry as the desert. Her skin felt grimy, and smelt faintly of old sweat, alcohol and sex.

Nose wrinkling, she rose gingerly from a nest of pillows, stroking back bubblegum strands plastered to her face and neck.

Her head spun before righting, bleary emerald orbs swept the room.

She was in a familiar bedroom.

One not in her marital home.

She turned her sluggish gaze to the man sitting beside her on the mattress.

Not her husband.

Lee, dressed in his standard spandex, stared back at her, his fishbowl orbs wide and questioning, a rare frown on his face. He looked concerned and a bit upset in a way she had never really seen before. The cautious intensity swimming in his onyx eyes made her think his...upset had to do with her.

She searched her mind for the reason why.

She remembered coming over that afternoon, using her spare key and letting herself inside his apartment, dropping her bag at the door, weaving down the hall with her left over wine...

Heated images of desperate copulation filled her mind.

Recollections of her jumping the poor guy the moment he stepped through the door, damning replays of him making love to her...and wearing his own face.

She hadn't fucked a make believe Sasuke last night.

She fucked Lee.

Her insides seized, a chill swept her skin. The wrongness of the act hit her like a boulder.

She had crossed a line.

Last night...

That...was never supposed to happen, that wasn't how this worked.

That wasn't their agreement.

Panic squeezed her chest. Sakura held on to the mattress below, struggling not to hyperventilate. She felt sick to her stomach, nausea churning her insides. Her hands shook as a flare of anger ignited. She reached for it with the desperation of a drowning man. Animus swept through her veins, burning away the helplessness threatening to swallow her whole.

She didn't know if she was more mad with him or herself.

"Sakura-san, are you alright?"

She tugged the bed sheet up and over her breast, then glared at her hands in silence.

No.

She wasn't alright.

Silence filled the room, a heaviness that they'd never had between them.