Arc 1 chapter 2: Genya

I slowly walked into city. It was honestly quite bright despite it being night but it was completely lifeless, like the soul of the town had been tampered with. It didn't matter if it was child or not they kept there heads down. A majority of shops were indoors, most likely as a form of protection. On that note I realised a lot of people had body guards. A lot more than what is considered natural.

It seems like the demon had nested there for a long time now. It was potentially a lower moon. Hopefully it was. They might know something about him. Anyways I needed to find some food and then it would be best to resume the mission tomorrow and ask the towns people for some information.

I came across a building with the sign above that read "Shibatas ramen stand". It seemed interesting enough despite it being quite the rundown and small building. I entered. It was a lot better inside. There were multiple antiques and posters along the wall. In front of me was the traditional food stand format. A row of stalls with the chef behind.

That's when I realised something. The boy who I had fractured the arm of during final selection was sitting there with a hunched posture. He was devouring his ramen like he hadn't eaten in weeks. This was... bad. He was definitely the Aggresive type. Should I go up to him and apologise? Or maybe say nothing? I could just try to intimidate him into leaving me alone. But that wasn't an option, I didn't know yet if he was meant to be my partner in this case so I couldn't be to aggressive in my approach.

I calmly sat on one of the stools whilst ringing the bell beside me to signal to the chef I was here. This also had effect of notifying my "friend" I was there. His head shot around to look at me. His eye's widened then he scowled at me with ferocity.

"What are you doing here" he questioned me as he slammed his bowl onto the counter top. He was mad just like I predicted.

" A mission in this city" I replied. He looked shocked for a bit before continuing to eat his miso. I assumed that he was also on the mission. This was troublesome.

The curtains in front parted revealing the chef. "Hello there what would you like today my friend" a boy not to older than I said.

"I'll take what he had" I finished my order by pointing at the angry guy. The chef nodded and went into the back. I received a quick glare as well. I really needed to learn his name even if it's annoying.

" so I'm ayanokoji kiyotaka what's your name"? He probably won't give it to me.

" STOP TALKING TO ME LIKE WERE FRIENDS. DO YOU REMEMBER THAT YOU BROKE MY ARM" he shouted in an outraged tone. He was honestly a bit funny although I would never say it to his face.

"That was because you were hurting one of the proctors I didn't have a choice but to step in. Also we have to work on this mission together so don't you think it would be awkward if we didn't know each other's name"? I asked him seriously. He looked at me with a glare and a frown. He seemed to be contemplating his answer which was better than nothing.

" If your so desperate to know than it's Genya Shinazugawa but don't think I'll be working on the mission with you! I'll be the one to kill the demon. Understood"! I guess I have his name at least. I simply sighed and began eating my ramen when it arrived. We were in complete silence and the moment he was finished he slapped his money on the counter then left.

At the very least I had significant information on him now. His arm was able to heal in a matter of days despite it being broken. It didn't even seem like it was still injured almost like a demon. Well I'll probably think more about this later but for now I need rest.

I traversed the hollow morning streets. I needed to find out from the locals what they had been experiencing. I sore a girl with silver hair and red eyes trembling as she walked. Due to the low age gap she would be somewhat ideal.

I walked up to her making sure my steps could be hear by her. When we locked eyes she froze and grew pale. I don't think that's a usual occurrence. Finally I reached her. She looked at me as if I were a monster which is ironic.

"Hey I was wondering why your so scared. Do you need help" I questioned her. She put her guard slightly down and her shaking became minimal as she mostly assumed I wasn't a threat.

"My mother and f-f-father were killed a couple months ago" she began to cry whilst looking at the ground. "But a week ago they started appearing in my room and acting as if they weren't dead. IT CANT BE THEM I WAS THERE WHEN THEY WERE BURIED BUT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE EVERYONES SEEING STUFF LIKE THIS" she screeched as she ran away rapidly. It looked like the townsfolk were cautious due to whatever the demon was doing. That talk was an important one though.

I went around asking many more people about there circumstances. Most had dead family members or friends. They also had experienced some kind of illusions from resurrected dead people to gigantic horrible insects. Most believed it was an oni. To me it was obviously it was a demon. Trying to find it was going to be tough due to its innate hiding abilities.

Suddenly I felt something was looking at me. I looked around and sore nothing. I could still feel it's gaze even after getting into my hotel room. It had to be the demon. But something was off. It was attacking to recklessly despite its usual nature of hiding. It was either trying to trick me or it wanted to kill me quickly so it wouldn't have to worry about me.

I lay on the rock hard bed then stared into the dark abyss in front. There was a man with six red eyes, a dark purple kimono and a gigantic sword. I felt a pulse of fear shoot up me. I quickly examined him then realised something. It's shadow was at the completely wrong angle compared to where the light was. It was simply an illusion.

" you can come out now I know it's an illusion" I said to the demon which I couldn't yet see. I heard a flurry of steps as it made its way out of the building. I dashed to follow it. If I didn't I wouldn't get another opportunity. I raced through town as I attempted to catch up to the demons ridiculous speed. Eventually it led be into a thick forest clearing where I knew it wanted our confrontation. His plan was probably to take me out then genya but that wouldn't matter.

It was not going to leave this forest alive.

A/N:  this chapter took longer than I had hoped to get out but nonetheless it has arrived.

I was wondering if people thought this arc is going a bit to quick?

My intentions are to make it similar to tanjiro's first missions but give genya some well deserved screen time.

Next chapter will mostly be character focused writing on genya since I'm still getting used to writing him so doing the next chapter will be beneficial in making him more accurate.

Finally what should be the endgame ship?

Most girls are already taken, have been turned into demons or dead. So who should kiyo end up with?