eighteen

chapter eighteen of grandfathers

I sat in silence in the grand foyer. The old, blue chair I sat on faced the wide, open doors that displayed the green plains of my grandfathers garden. The breeze felt crisp against my writhing hands, strands of hair blew across my forehead. In the study adjacent to me was my father, grandfather and Anthony. 

They had retreated to the library to discuss my grandfather's estate and condition, all three had agreed it was improper for me to witness 'adult' conversations. I laughed drily as if to remind Lord Bridgerton that he didn't consider me childish in his study the night before, but to my dismay he avoided eye contact. 

Suddenly, the study doors opened wide and out came Lord Bridgerton, "I see you have been banished as well," I said with a coy smile. 

"I took it upon myself to leave, I have no business being in that room," He took a seat beside me, making sure to leave a giant gap in-between us. 

"But I do. Instead you all agreed I was a child," I grumbled, my hands crossed at my chest. 

"Not childish, it is simply unladylik-," Through the corner of my eye I saw Anthony turn his head to give me a pointed look. 

I snapped my head to the side and stared into the centre of his eyes before I interrupted him, "You didn't consider me to be unladylike when I laid naked on your study desk,". My whisper seemed to echo through the walls of the foyer as his silence consumed the entire room. His cheeks grew red as he cleared his throat before his eyes darted across the room to ensure we were alone. 

"That was a mere lapse in judgement," His voice dropped an octave as if the whole world was listening.

My face scrunched in confusion, offended by his remarks until I saw his flustered cheeks, "Perhaps the best judgements are made in lapse," I stared at him with a sly expression. 

"Regardless, I shouldn't have touched you," His voice was a simple whisper, if I was a step away I wouldn't hear his words. 

"So from what I hear, I gather that you enjoyed yourself," I had turned my whole body to face him, intrigue plagued my mind and I quite enjoyed making the lord uncomfortable. He crossed one leg over the other as he turned his head to face forward. 

In small voice, he spoke. "I did," I smiled widely at his words. Soon the room filled with silence again, amusement had overcome me. After a few seconds, I saw him open his mouth to say something but closed it again. Another few seconds passed and he asked, "Did you?"

"I did," I saw a glimpse of a smile. For the first time today, I felt comfortable silence. 

"If you want something, demand it," He said. I furrowed my eyebrows, "You want a seat at the table, so take one," He pointed at the closed door of my grandfathers study. I gave him a wide smile before I stood up and smoothed the crinkles of my dress before I walked to the white doors and opened them wide. 

I closed the doors behind me and stand next to my father, both men turn to look at me. "I demand to know what you are talking about,". I grandfather laughs humorously as my father opens his mouth to scold me. 

"If you wish it, I will grant it, my dear," He motions for the chair beside him, I walk toward it and sit next to him, "We were just discussing the matters of my will,". 

"Your will?" I look at him confused before I realise the meaning of his words, "You aren't getting better, are you?"

He shakes his head solemnly, as he takes my hand in both of his and squeezes it for comfort, I was unsure if he was trying to comfort me or himself. 

"As I was saying," my father interrupts before fixing his reading glasses, "Your daughter asks you to reconsider her inheritance,". 

"Before last week, I hadn't seen her in 3 years. She still resents me for your marriage," My grandfather spoke. 

"If not her then who? You cannot tell you me, you wish for this to go to waste,"

"Arabella," My grandfather spoke. 

"What?" My father and I both said at the same time, we turned to look at the greying man. 

"I wish to leave it to Arabella," He gave me an encouraging smile, "The Estate, the land, the money- Everything, and I don't wish to discuss this any further,".

My father nodded before fuming out of the room, most likely to write my mother a letter about her foiled plans. 

"Mother will be furious at me, she will hate me," I pleaded, "You cannot leave everything to me,".

"You may be hated but at least you will be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams," He smiled again, giving my hand another squeeze, "Come, my dear. We must eat," He walked out of the study. 

Anthony had stood up at the sound of my father's sudden departure, I met eyes with him and he furrowed his eye brows in confusion, I shook my head lightly before following my grandfather to the dining hall, where the maids had set the most exquisite and elaborate dinner possible. 

"Arabella," My grandfather said, patting the seat on his left. My father's seat was empty and Lord Bridgerton was placed beside my father, "Anthony, I insist you move forward," My grandfather gestured to the seat beside him, "It seems Lord Leversay won't be joining us,". 

"Your gardens are most spectacular," Anthony said, before taking a bite of the chicken on his plate, grandfather replied with a nod of appreciation before turning his head to look at me. 

"Arabella, tomorrow we will host a ball. The most extravagant party possible, no expense will be spared,  I guarantee you," He said. 

"Are you sure you're up for it?" I asked, concerned. 

"Of course. If I am to die, I shall die in my best suit with scotch in my hand and a pipe in my mouth," He laughed boisterously, however, he was the only one amused by his words. Anthony and I sat in solemn silence. I nodded, accepting that if that is what he wished for then it is what he shall receive, one last Horah before the inevitable. 

---

sorry for not update u sexy beasts. i have like exams coming and i like to waste precious study time

so more updates for u guys yay