Chapter 3

"Wait, what?" Kai, Taehyun's best friend exclaimed incredulously, as he sat up straight on the couch, his mouth wide open.

"It will be fun." Taehyun replied nonchalantly, flipping through the TV channels.

"What kind of a deal is this even? Fake dating? Taehyun you don't do dates, everyone knows that." Kai accused, glaring at him.

"Well...they don't know that." Taehyun shrugged, frowning at the television.

"Jesus, I leave you for two weeks and you go and do something stupid." Kai reprimanded him.

Kai had gone to Japan for some work-related stuff for two weeks and he was finally back and Taehyun had filled him up with what had been happening which was mainly the deal with Beomgyu, and Kai clearly disapproved.

"The guy is cute, Kai." Taehyun insisted, "He is right next door in fact, maybe I could introduce you to him now?"

"Taehyun... nothing good ever comes out of fake relationships." Kai sighed in vexation, shaking his head.

"Look, it really is not that serious" Taehyun began, throwing the remote on to the table before facing Kai, "Beomgyu accidentally told his ex he was seeing me so we just decided on one fake party date but then you should have seen how upset he looked at the party, so we decided to do this whole fake relationship thing to prove to the ex that Beomgyu was happy too and had moved on and stop with the pitying." He ranted, exhaling deeply once he was done.

"Okay woah, take a breather," Kai said, placing his hands up, "But pretending to have moved on or trying to make someone jealous is so..." He trailed off.

"The ex is to be blamed too though, I mean he did move on quickly and also invited Beomgyu to events where he could shove his new boyfriend on his face." Taehyun stated, turning away.

"That is their problem, you didn't have to get involved in it." Kai advised seriously.

"I am not involved...calm down." Taehyun mumbled flatly.

"Is there a reason why you are doing this, Taehyun."

Taehyun knew he was going to ask him that, after all Kai did know him best, including all his problems.

"I was bored." Taehyun answered knowing very well that was not the answer the other man wanted.

Kai stared at his best friend before sighing, "Listen, I am just looking out for you." He hesitated, observing Taehyun for a while before continuing, "You know ever since..."

"Let's not talk about that." Taehyun interrupted abruptly.

"I hope you aren't doing this to get back at your mother, Taehyun."

"This has nothing to do with her or her stupid fiancé and I said I don't want to talk about it." Taehyun said, his lips pressed into a thin line.

"Okay but Taehyun, you do know fake relationships are only fake until someone catches feelings, right?" Kai stated, as he tried to turn Taehyun around to face him.

Taehyun scoffed at that, "Listen Kai, he is still so hung up over his ex. In fact, one of his conditions were that we could do couple things only in the presence of the ex. And well for me, you know very well, I don't catch feelings. And that won't change."

Taehyun could see Kai still wanted to continue the conversation and he tried to steer the topic away.

"They are actually a fun bunch of people, maybe I will take you with me next time too." Taehyun said as he got up and poured out a cup of coffee, passing it to Kai.

"I don't know man...I am just having a bad feeling about this." Kai confessed as he blew on his drink.

"You have a bad feeling about everything though, you need to chill." Taehyun chuckled as he sat across him, "So, enough about me, how was Japan? Tell me everything."