𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝙔𝙤𝙪'𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙥𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜
𝙁𝙤𝙧 𝙢𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙘𝙠 𝙪𝙥 𝙤𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙙𝙤𝙤𝙧 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚
𝘽𝙖𝙗𝙮, 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙬𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙥 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙞𝙣'?

THEY.;; STOP PLAYIN'

_______________________

JAIYA MORANT POV

SOUTH, BRONX;;
JULY 11, SATURDAY, 10:15 P.M.

"Happy Birthday, big head."

I roll my eyes. Kahlil just grins on the FaceTime call. I can tell he's on the block. His background is dark but I can make out a couple of buildings and the people behind him, smoking and chilling. Like he always does when he's outside, Kahlil has his hood on and I can just barely see his waves and his bright white teeth.

"Finally eighteen. I don't wanna believe it. Cause I remember when moms brought ya big head self home."

"How you gone remember that and you was like two." I tell him, rolling my eyes again.

"Shut up. I'm tryna give a heartfelt speech and shit." Kahlil says, laughing before his expression gets serious, "For real though, Jai. I'm mad proud of you. Like, you smart, passionate about that film shit, and even after everything we been through, you still got a good heart. I feel you gone go far beyond the Bronx. Nah, I know it. You eighteen now, got ya whole life ahead of you... I know you gone make the most of it. I'm ya big brother, but you feel like somebody to look up to."

For some reason, Kahlil's words hit me more than usual. I always looked up to my brother, even when he got in trouble and was locked up in jail. Because I knew there was something behind it, a smart boy who was good at basketball and liked to read. Kahlil had no trouble speaking his mind and standing up for whatever he thought was right.

I knew I could never be like him. I'm not brave - just quiet, shy Jaiya. So to hear from him that he thought otherwise meant a lot.

I sniffle, wiping at the tears that start to form in my eyes.

"Bro don't start that crying shit." Kahlil tells me, shaking his head, "Ya lashes sliding down ya face and shit-"

I flip him off even though I end up laughing.

"When are you coming home?" I ask quietly.

"I'm on the Sev right now. But I'm bout to head that way cause I got you something for ya birthday." He says before flipping the camera and showing a white box.

I can see the cake inside with pink and white icing and candles with the numbers 18. I barely received gifts for my birthday, let alone cake and each time I did, it was because Kahlil saved whatever money he had to buy it for me. For my eighteenth birthday, I thought he wouldn't bother. So seeing the cake on the screen, I can't help but smile.

"I'll text you when I'm outside." Kahlil tells me.

"Okay." I nod.

The camera flips back around to show Kahlil's face.

"And Jai?"

"Hm?"

"I'm proud of you and I love you. Happy birthday." He says, smiling.

"I love you too." I smile back, "See you soon."

I end the FaceTime call and stare at the screen. I'm excited to see my brother. But I can't help but notice this sinking feeling taking over me. I don't understand it, so I just drop my phone on the nightstand and head back into the living room where Lexis and Tay are waiting.