Chapter 7: Underworld Tournament Part 4

With my match, concluded, it was now time for Sonya's match in the quarterfinals.

Sonya would be facing a terrible opponent that counteracts her strengths and soon after, whether she wins or not, I'd be facing against a completely unknown champion in the first semi-finals match. 

Sonya: Looks like my match is up. Man, I feel amazing like I just drank a whole keg of alcohol! 

Me: That would be the adrenaline. It'll wear off-

Sonya: It must be my fighting spirit!

Echidna: Whatever works for her. I do hope she dies though. The other opponent would be much more favorable. 

Getting off from her seat, she made her way down to the base of the arena where the waiting room was. David also moved from his seat and readied his hands, doing exercises a typical boxer would use.

Me: Sonya will win. 

Echidna: How do you know for certain?

Me: Her attitude and physique along with technique. They're all higher than that man albeit except for speed and agility. However, it doesn't mean she'll leave the match unscathed. The combat the two will engage in, might leave each other crippled. 

Echidna: And I bet in your battle against Jonah, he might break every single bone in your body. 

Me: But that's why we have magic. 

Echidna: (And here I thought you were going to play by the rules?)

Me: Using magic after my battle isn't going against the rules. It wasn't explicitly stated anyways. 

Echidna: (Well then, I guess let's just enjoy a wonderful bout!)

After a while, both fighters entered the ring. Sonya readied her stance and opted for one that valued her talent of grapple. David side stepped in place like a professional boxer would. He put a lot of tape on his legs, possibly to tense his muscles and keep his movements uniform. 

And although this appeared to be normal, I noticed something awry. 

Me: Echidna, his eyes have a tint of gold in them. Could he be-

Echidna: (Yes, he's secretly using some enhancement magic. It's not visible to the naked eye, though, only to people who use magic. This puts him at a clear advantage.) 

Me: That's good. Less work for me. The more weakened she is, the easier she'll be when we face off in the finals. 

With the bell rung, the match began and the bets were all towards Sonya. Seeing her dominate performances across the many rounds firmly cemented her as the favorite. 

But she was going up against an opponent that didn't shy from cheating. 

The match started off slowly with David unleashing multiple straights and Sonya dodging and weaving through all of them until she lunged for his leg. 

I've seen her execute this move on all of her opponents so far. Relying on her physique, she tanks a kick or punch to the face and uses their lack of momentum to utterly destroy them and cripple their back. 

Echidna: (Her attack won't work now. She's dealing with what you called before, a 'boxer.' Close range is his specialty.) 

Me: And she's about to learn it the hard way. 

David tensed up his body and built up the power of his right hook by twisting his hips and feet in the same motion. The impact hit Sonya's face, leaving her head caved right in the dirt arena's floor and cracks accumulating across the area.