5: The kindness of a not so stranger

[how are you guys liking the story so far? I hope you are enjoying it! I'm hitting a bit of a block on chapter ideas but I'm getting somewhere. ]

[Peter's POV]

Peter could see the confusion on the Doctor's face. Peter was starting to regret the fact he came here now.
When Dr. Strange spoke again, his voice was much softer.
"How do I know you?"
If Peter didn't know better, he'd say the magician's voice cracked at the end. Peter didn't blame him though, for all Strange knew, Peter could have been his son. Though he wasn't. That would be kind of cool though wouldn't it? To be the son of somebody like Strange?
He was getting off track.
"We aren't related if that helps at all?"Peter spoke softly, he didn't want to tell the doctor the story just yet.
Why?
Well because he just wasn't ready. Peter didn't want somebody constantly asking if he was alright because he wasn't.

Peter also didn't want to hear the 'I told you so'

The other visibly relaxed at Peter's words. "I suppose that's good at least, but that doesn't answer my question."
"Oh sorry, sir. I can't tell you that. I want to, but then some things that I don't want to happen will happen, and I really can't have that." Peter forced himself to quiet so he wouldn't ramble.
Strange shook his head. "It wouldn't happen to do with the two Avengers at my door would it?"
Peter's gaze had been on the other's waving red cloak but now it was focused on the man himself. 

Peter was silent for a long while, simply thinking before nodding his head. He might as well be as honest as he can at this point.
"I see, while I would like to keep talking, I also don't want to keep the two Avengers at my door waiting. "

Peter nodded tensely, he knew he shouldn't have come here. He was only being a bother. As if he could read his thoughts, Strange's piercing blue eyes softened. "Hey, kid. You can stay here you know. You look what? Around seventeen right? I'm sure you could use the rest, it's chilly out as well, and I can see those circles under your eyes."

Peter's eyes widened and he nodded silently. Too stunned to speak. He had not been expecting that.

Doctor Strange's lips curled up in a small grin. "There is a chair over there you can sit in if you like."
While Peter knew that the sorcerer was most likely only being so polite because he might feel guilty due to the spell he had cast, he was happy to pretend that Strange cared.

It felt nice to not be alone.

While of course, he had mister Stark to talk to, it didn't help the bitterness that name carried.

Peter remembered the snap...

[Five years and nine months ago on planet Titian.]

Something was wrong, Peter could feel it. His mask retracted as his Spider-Sense started ringing. His body felt weird, oddly light.
He stumbled over to his mentor, crying out. "Mr. Stark I don't feel so good."
He could see the tears forming in the older man's eyes as he crumbled to dust.

[Nine months ago near Avengers compound]

"And I am Iron Man."
Peter watched as Tony Stark, his mentor, saving half the universe with a single snap. He also saw his idol fall to the ground, half dead.

Peter was in that hospital room every day. Hoping that Tony would wake up soon.
It had only been a week since the fight, and Tony's wounds were really bad.
Cracked ribs, shattered bones in his arm, broken fingers. Tony got lucky, the surgery on his arm and hand ended up going great so that with physical therapy and time he would be able to use it normally.
After weeks of waiting a soft voice rang in Peter's ears.

"Underoos?"

[Present time]

Nine months had passed since the 'Endgame'.
Nobody has bothered to keep in contact with Peter after the first three. Tony didn't last much longer than four. Now it was mostly Peter spamming his inbox with questions about the billionaire.