| late night drive |

you tossed and turned in your bed, trying to fall back asleep after a few banging noises had woken you up.

you tightly squeezed your eyes shut and tried to block out the noise of the continuous noise.

as the noise continued, you eventually realised that it was somebody knocking on your door.

you checked your clock on your beside table, the red numbers reading '03:25'.

groaning, you got out of bed, grabbed your keys for the front door, and threw on a sweatshirt over your pyjamas.

as you walked downstairs, you could faintly see the outline of a person standing outside through the glass on the front door.

you unlocked the door, slowly opening it just enough for you to peek your head out.

stood before you was a tall figure, hand raised as if they were going to knock before you unlocked the door.

your vision was still a little blurry from having just woken up. you quickly rubbed your eyes and then recognised who was standing in front of you.

"steve, what're you doing here? do you know what time it is? is everything okay?" you asked, your voice hoarse.

you studied him as you waited for his response. his eyes were red and glassy, as if he'd been crying. his hair was flat and he had very prominent bags under his eyes.

steve dropped his arms to his sides. he stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned back on his heels.

"yeah, yeah, everything's fine. my parents are arguing again and i wanted to go for a drive but i didn't want to go alone so i came here. i didn't even bother to check how late it was. just jumped in my car and next thing i knew i was here." he rambled on.

you opened your mouth to respond and tell him it was fine but steve quickly shook his head.

"i shouldn't have come over, you were obviously sleeping. i'm sorry. i'll just go." he apologised, turning to leave.

"wait." you said, reaching out and grabbing his wrist, making him turn back to face you.

you sighed. "don't go. just give me a second, let me put some decent clothing on, m'kay?" you said, a yawn almost interrupting your sentence.

steve nodded and you dragged him into the hall, closing the door quietly before tiptoeing back upstairs.

your parents wouldn't be awake for a while, especially on a weekend so you had plenty of time.

you quickly threw on some comfortable trousers and put on a pair of converse and walked downstairs where steve was standing.

steve smiled over at you as you walked down the stairs. he held his hand out towards you when you got closer to him.

you smiled and took his hand before walking out the door, locking it behind you.

steve swung your arms as you walked towards his car, making you let out a few quiet giggles. steve smiled at the sound.

he opened the passenger door for you, helping you in and closing it once you were properly in.