| mine |

you still remember the first day you met steve. you were in college and had a part time job waiting tables. it was one of the less busy nights at the restaurant and you waited on steve's table. he was there with another girl who, at that point, you assumed was his girlfriend. he caught your eye quite quickly but you obviously didn't say anything, thinking he was with his girlfriend.

you had caught steve's eye rather quickly too. "jesus, steve, if you keep staring at her, she's probably gonna call the cops." robin told him. steve shook his head. "i'm not staring." he said. robin raised her eyebrows. "yeah, you are. it's getting to restraining order territory." she teased. steve opened his mouth to reply but stopped when he saw you walking back over to the table, a notepad and pen in your hand. "okay, can i get you guys any desserts?" you asked, looking at the two that sat at the table. "we have a few desserts that are popular for couples to share." you told them. robins eyes widened. "woah, we aren't a couple. we're platonic. capital p." she spoke quickly. steve nodded. you smiled at this. this could mean your crush could potentially be single. "oh, my mistake, sorry." you apologised. "but i think we're fine on dessert, thanks." robin said. you nodded. "okay, i'll be over with the bill in a sec." you said, turning and walking away.

robin walked as you walked away, as did steve. the waiter uniform was quite plain. a black button up t-shirt and backs trousers, some waitresses wore skirts. steve honestly believed it was love at first sight. if anyone else saw the look on his face, they would think he was staring at the love of his life. "steve?" robin tried to snap him out of his trance. "steve!" she whisper yelled, shaking the table lightly to get his attention. steve turned his head. "what?" he asked. robin threw a pen his way. "write your number on the napkin and give it to her. i can't stand to see that sickening look on your face again." she scrunched her nose up. steve rolled his eyes but surprisingly complied. robin snatched the napkin away and folded it up.

as you walked towards the table, robin hid the napkin in her hand. "that'll be 20 dollars." you said. robin placed a ten dollar bill on the table as steve placed another ten dollar bill along with a five dollar bill on the table. robin picked up the money and sandwiched the napkin in between the money and handed it to you. she also handed you some extra money before they both left. you thanked them and walked to the break room, after putting the 20 dollars away.

you untied the apron from around your waist and threw it on an empty couch. you looked down at the extra money you had been given and saw the folded up napkin. you smiled when you realised it was a number. if you were sure nobody was going to walk in, you would've jumped up and down with glee. you grabbed your apron and quickly left, speeding home and calling the number as soon as you arrived home.

you also remember your first date with steve. it wasn't nothing extravagant but it was perfect to you.

after you had gotten his number, you both planned to meet up on the weekend. when the weekend came around, you got up hours earlier than usual, anxious in case you slept in and missed the date. you were ready an hour early. you and steve hadn't stopped calling since  you got his number but you were still so nervous for the date. what if he changed his mind and didn't like you anymore? what if he didn't show? what if it was a joke? what if...? you were snapped out of your thoughts when you heard a few knocks. you straightened out your clothes and answered the door.

steve's swore he looked like one of those goofy cartoons with his eyes popping literally out of his head and his jaw right down on the floor. he thought you looked gorgeous. correction, he tonight you looked gorgeous when you were working, right now he thought you looked absolutely breathtaking. "you look amazing." he complimented you when he finally picked his jaw up from the floor. you smiled at him. "thanks. so do you." steve smiled. he held out his hand. "should we go?" he asked. you nodded and took his hand.