| heather |

you sat on your best friends couch. your legs were stretched out and you rested your head against the armrest.

"popcorn or chips?" steve yelled from the kitchen. "uh," you furrowed your eyebrows, putting way too much thought into this than needed. "popcorn." you finally decided.

there was rustling around before steve came out of the kitchen holding two bowls. you looked over in his direction.

he sat the bowls down on the coffee table in front of the couch. "just make yourself at home, why don't you?" he joked, pushing your legs off of the couch.

you scoffed in mock offence. "how dare you?! i was comfortable!" you joked back, throwing your legs over his lap once he had sat down. he laughed and turned his attention to the tv.

"karate kid? again, seriously?" he asked. you sat up a little. "it's a good movie!" you defended. "the only reason we watch this is because you have a crush on daniel." he teased. "and? ralph macchio is hot." you argued. steve just laughed in response.

as you watched the movie, you felt the room getting cooler. it wasn't long until you were shivering. you wrapped your arms around yourself and tried to keep yourself warm. steve saw you out of the corner of his eye.

"you cold?" he asked. "a little." you replied. steve pushed your legs off of his lap and walked out of the room. you watched him leave and threw your head back.

you loved spending time with him. after all, you had been friends for years but being friends for so long made other feelings rise. the past year, you had developed feelings for steve but you would never admit it. he was in love with nancy wheeler. you furrowed your eyebrows and ran your hand down your face. you shouldn't be thinking like this, not about steve.

you were snapped out of your thoughts when something was thrown at your chest. you looked down and saw a rolled up sweater. you sat up and held it in your hands. "what's this?" you asked. "what does it look like? it's a sweater, dumbass." steve replied. you rolled your eyes. "why've have you given me this?" you questioned. "so you don't freeze to death." you smiled and pulled on the sweater.

it was warm and it smelled like steve. it was a little big on you but you weren't complaining, not one bit. this wasn't helping your crush on steve in the slightest. you wrapped your arms around yourself and everything felt right. you wished and hoped and prayed that this would last forever but not matter how much you wished and hoped and prayed, your wish would never come true.

—————————————————-

steve leaned against the locker in front of yours as you ranted on and on about your math teacher.

"oh! and don't get me started on the goddamn homework! i mean, she's not taught us half of that bullshit!" you exclaimed, slamming your locker shut. "it's ridiculous, right?" you looked at steve. his attention was anywhere but you. "what're you looking at?" you followed his were his eyes were looking. your heart broke into millions of pieces when you realised he was looking at nancy.

you looked away from her and moved your bag further onto your shoulder. steve finally snapped out of his trance and looked at you. "sorry, what were you saying?" he asked. it now felt like someone had ripped out whatever you had left of your broken heart and stomped on it. "doesn't matter." you mumbled. the bell rang, dismissing everyone for the day.