Chapter One-Thomas Gaines; London, England; 1846

I

The forgotten were always filled with helplessness.

     And this was more so for Thomas Gaines. He shrugged of the cold, bitter wind that caused him to shiver.

       Nothing was as it was in London.

       The Church bells chimed.

        Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

        The Priests, who were in brown colored robes, wrapped their old hands around the ancient bell. The sounds of Satan's Bells weren't heard; they were silent.

          And, for the old Priests, a sense of peace in God's land, filled the city with a renewed sense of pride, as the Midday prayers had had now begun.

__________________________________________________________________________________

The boy had short, brown colored hair, brown colored eyes, and small for his age. He wore a brown colored (ruffled) shirt, brown colored breeches, brown colored socks, and black colored (dirty) boots on his right feet.

              "Why are I here?", asked Thomas. He shifted in the seat. He stared at the Priests, and held his hands down, as if he wanted to be free of sin.

                Noone answered him, as he heard the Father's sermon.

                "Make no mistake...Satan and the Devil, (who aren't the same), is sending His Serpent to thy sinners...The horror of the dreaded Carnavan Vampires, shall not stain thy wicked soul. Now, let us turn to Psalm 23...and pray for your souls...", said Father Daniel Markham, 65, as he watched the congregation warily, as if the thought of evil caused everyone to pray harder.

Thomas looked at the glass windows. A shadow of a girl passed by. But no gust blew. It was as if she controlled the wind.

                He blinked, as he struggled to hear the sermon.

                He walked out of his seat, smiled at everyone, and opened the huge brown colored double doors, and went outside to smell the fresh air.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Thomas Gaines stared at the girl.

                   She had short, black curly hair, brown colored eyes, and petite. She wore a strange, black colored robe, and was barefoot.

                     She ignored the boy.

                    Suddenly, she moved around.

                     And faced him.

                     She grabbed Thomas's throat with her sharp, clawed right hand. She didn't smile at him; she never smiled.

                      "Watcher of the Church, do you seek me?", the girl asked.

                      "My apologies M'Lady. I was admiring your cloak", Thomas Gaines answered, lying. She blinked her eyes, as if to mock him.

                      "Admiring a girl is a shallow thing. It make you inferior to me. In a way, you are a boy who seeks out trouble. My name is Dresmonda. I'm part of "The Witches of the Black Order". And you haven't attacked me", she said, as she clapped her hands.

                     And a black colored hat appeared.

                    She put it on her head.

                    Then a meow was heard.

                     And Samhain, her familiar, appeared.

                     It hissed at Thomas.

                    "What is it? Tell Mummy?", Dresmonda asked.

                     The cat moved around and pointed towards Mist Gate Castle, as if in an answer. Dresmonda grabbed her familiar in her small hands.

                      "I don't think you should go there", Dresmonda said.

                       "Why not M'Lady?", enquired Thomas Gaines.

                        "Vampires live there. We're the Guardians of the place since Lord Simon and Lady Gemma Carnavan are in France", Dresmonda said.

                           "Vampires don't exist M'Lady", Thomas Gaines said.

                            "They do, boy. Now, please come to me. If you don't, you'll die", Dresmonda threatened.

                              "Aye", Thomas Gaines said, and bowed.

As he followed her towards the ancient Castle, a cold breeze hit his face. Thomas ignored the biting wind, and was happy to live out the dream of being on an adventure...

                         ...Instead, he walked into horror show.

Page 1