Episode Three

Food

Food. I desperately need food. It was Monday and an entire day of school was waiting for me.

Over the weekend, I had managed to come up with ten dollars after collecting aluminum cans, which may seem little to some, but to me that was a lot of money. Yeah, people saw me digging through trash, and yeah it was embarrassing as fuck, but you know what's worse than that? Starving to death.

A job. I needed a job. Waiting to be rung up, I stared at my nachos, which was the only hot food I could get this early in the morning.

"That'll be three seventy-five." Hank, the cashier, said.

"Are you hiring?" I asked Hank as he took four of my precious dollars. My mouth was salivating. Truck Stop food was gourmet food to me.

"We might be hiring, but I don't know. Dennis is picky as fuck. What do you know how to do?" Hank was actually talking to me about this, and I could not screw it up.

"I can do anything. Cleaning, stocking, cashiering, whatever. I work for cheap too." I'd asked a few times before and always gotten a no. This was the first time Hank was actually considering hiring me.

"We'd have to pay you minimum wage and to Dennis that is not cheap, but I'll bring it up later when he comes in. We need a woman's touch around here. The place is getting dusty, and we'd need you to clean the bathrooms and showers daily. Lord knows I hate doing that."

"I could do it after school every day." Excitement jittered in my stomach. There was actually a chance of getting a job. Since this was the only place to work near home, I would actually be winning the jackpot if I got this job.

"Tell you what. When you get off the bus today, come and see Dennis. Let him know you'll work for minimum wage and that you'll clean everything daily. He'll have to let you start tomorrow."

Thanking Hank, I went outside to wait for the school bus, and to eat. I still had about fifteen minutes to eat, and I didn't need that long.

"You look like a pig," Lyla bellowed across the Truck Stop parking lot. "Oink. Oink."

Ignoring her nastiness, I hurried to finish before she made it over to me.

At least it was senior year, which meant I only had one long year left to deal with Lyla. Before summer last year, she had been talking about how her parents were going to get her a car, but there was no car to be seen, which meant she was still just as poor as me.

"Randy told everyone what you did at the dance. I was right. You really are a slut." Lyla said just as the bus pulled up.

"What did he say?" I took the bait as we boarded the bus. I knew I shouldn't, but I didn't have a choice. I was too interested to hear what Randy said.

"He told us how you begged him to take your virginity in the guy's bathroom." Lyla looked disgusted.

"Don't believe everything you hear." I said under my breath.