Episode Four

"Are you going to the game on Friday?" Jordan asked as he sat down next to me on the bus

"No." I smothered a laugh. "I'm not really a joiner, if you know what I mean."

"Oh. I thought with Travis taking you out on Saturday that you were gonna go watch him play like you did with Randy." Jordan shrugged.

"Move." A low voice said to a freshman who was trying to fit his cello into his seat.

I glanced up to see none other than Kaleb.

"Uh..." I worked to find my train of thought. "I might have to work on Friday anyway."

Noticing my distraction, Jordan groaned. "And here we go again. The illustrious Kaleb Cole. He's an asshole, River. Just like Lyla. I know what you're asking yourself. Why do we have to be around assholes and bitches on every bus ride? The answer is, I don't know."

Jordan laughed at his own joke, but I didn't. My gaze was battling with Kaleb's. His dark hazel gaze penetrated through me as he took the seat next to ours, which was weird because he used to like riding in the back of the bus.

"Where's your truck, Kaleb?" Some guy asked from the back of the bus.

"At the shop," Kaleb answered.

I tore my gaze from his and totally forgot everything that I was talking about with Jordan.

"I'm gonna find a seat in the back. Talk later, River?" Jordan asked.

"Um... yeah." Those were literally the only words I could seem to find in my brain at the moment.

So now it was just me and Kaleb. Was I supposed to invest in yet another stare off or was I supposed to act busy? This was just weird. More than anything, I hoped we could actually have a normal conversation again someday.

"Where's Maryanne?" Lyla asked from the back of the bus.

"I don't give a fuck." Kaleb answered, shutting Lyla up.

His answer confused me. Why didn't he care about where his girlfriend was? Everyone knew she was probably at cheer practice, but why hadn't Kaleb gone to football practice? Maryanne was my arch nemesis in my head. In real life, she was just some overly nice, stuck-up cheerleader that had everything she could ever desire. The sun literally kissed Maryanne's sweet, perfect ass every day of her life.

"Travis, huh?" Kaleb clenched his back teeth.

"No football practice today?" It was the only thing I could think to say. Why in the hell did he care about who I was dating?

"Nope." Kaleb said the word just loud enough for me to hear. "Randy wasn't enough for you? How many guys are you planning on screwing this year?"

At those words, my jaw dropped. He knew I wasn't screwing anyone. Shit. He'd made sure of it.