Episode Twenty Four

"Just tell him I went home

"Just tell him I went home." I took another small bite of my pizza, hoping Travis wouldn't call me too. I didn't feel like talking.

"Hey, man," Kaleb answered the call as Travis started talking. "No. She went home. Her mom's pissed at what happened to her."

I chuckled, knowing that my mom didn't give a damn. No one knew that except Kaleb, and I needed to keep it that way.

Kaleb sat back as he continued to talk to Travis. "No. It's okay. I have a cleaning crew doing all that."

Travis started talking animatedly. He sounded angry.

"I know. I don't know what I'm going to do about them, but it's not looking good for Remmy's group. They're going to regret what they did." Kaleb frowned at me. "That's not a good idea. River's stepdad is an asshole. Trust me when I say this—they're not gonna let you take care of her."

Travis started talking again, and I wished I could hear what he was saying.

"Moving?" Kaleb glanced at me with a look of confusion. "Maybe. I don't know. She never told me about that."

Fuck. Travis was discussing how I was in the middle of moving. I'd forgotten that I'd lied to Travis, and now I regretted saying that.

"Yeah, I'm glad she's alive too, man. Take it easy." Kaleb said before he hung up. He glanced over at me as I analyzed his messy hair. He needed a haircut soon. "So, I hear you're moving."

I shrugged. "He wanted to see my mom's trailer the other day, but I was too embarrassed, so I lied and told him it was a mess since we were moving."

Kaleb grabbed a slice of pizza and set it on the plate before taking a huge bite. "I hope you're not planning on bringing him over here."

Taking another bite, I shook my head. "None of my mom's stuff is here. Travis is smart. He would definitely put two and two together."

Kaleb pressed a button on the controller to play the next ghost hunter episode. "I don't want him coming over here. I don't want anyone to know where you live."

My tongue slid over a cut on my swollen lip. "I hate lying to him."

Suddenly, Kaleb's phone went off again. He picked it up to see who texted him. "Fuck. It's Maryanne."

As he began texting his girlfriend, my phone dinged.

Travis: How are you doing?

Me: Horrible.

Travis: Can I come over?

Me: Not right now. My mom has been freaking out.

Travis: That sucks. I want to see you.

Me: Aww, I want to see you too. I'm just not feeling up to it.

Travis: I understand.

Me: Text me tomorrow. I probably won't be at school this week.