Episode Thirty Six

"I don't know if it was a good idea for me to take four shots

"I don't know if it was a good idea for me to take four shots." I slurred as I hiccuped and burped at the same time.

Jordan broke out laughing. "Four shots? You're a lightweight. I took two before you got to my house, remember?"

I nodded and hiccuped again, recalling that he'd also drank two beers while I was there. "I'm glad we decided to walk. You'd be a shitty designated driver."

Jordan laughed while his hand knocked against mine as we made our way to the rich side of the pond. I crossed my arms, keeping my hands to myself. Now that I knew he had a crush on me, I wasn't going to do anything to lead him on. Breaking Jordan's heart was the last thing I wanted. In my buzzed state, I focused on finding him a new girlfriend. I smiled to myself. He needed a good-hearted, sweet girl that I could be friends with.

"I'm so glad Kaleb has been gone. I hate that asshole." Jordan glanced at me as the smile melted off my face. "I know you still got a thing for him, but you deserve better."

I nodded, keeping my arms crossed. "I don't know. We've actually been getting along really well recently."

Jordan slurred as he spoke. "I wouldn't believe a thing he says if I were you. I still don't know what you see in that fucker."

"I don't know either." I laughed, thinking about all the fucked up things that Kaleb had done to me over the years. Maybe I had forgiven him too easily, but I couldn't help it. Kaleb just had that effect on me.

The party was in full swing when we finally got to Landon's house. His house was just as nice as Kaleb's. In fact, it looked a little bigger, if that was even possible. He lived fifteen houses down from Kaleb, which added five long minutes to our walk.

Jordan stayed close to my side as we walked in through the back door, surprised at how full the house was. People seemed overly happy, and I had no idea why, aside from the fact that we were all partying and drinking illegally. When the first group of guys saw me walk inside, their eyes practically popped out of their skulls as they all gaped.

"Fuck. Look at River." Guys elbowed each other, pointing at me. I wasn't surprised at their reactions. I'd never dressed like this. My outfit revealed a whole lot more than I was used to.

"Kaleb!" Someone hollered, and my heart began to race as I glanced around. Kaleb was here? What the fuck?

"Nice game!" Another person hollered. Had Kaleb still played tonight?

"Well, speak of the devil. I knew he couldn't stay away for long." Jordan exhaled loudly beside me as I got on my tiptoes and let my arms fall to my sides. I chewed my lip, looking for Kaleb, but I couldn't see him through the enormous amount of people. I spotted a massive group of people in Landon's beautiful sitting room, wondering if Kaleb was somewhere in there.

"Wait." Jordan grabbed my wrist. "Let's find the kitchen and get some drinks first."

I nodded, but I didn't want a drink. I wanted to see Kaleb with my own eyes. He'd been missing for days, and I wanted some goddamned answers. But if he was here, I knew we'd have to find somewhere private to talk, which would be difficult.