Episode Six

I stopped shaving my legs, knowing I did a horrible job, but I didn't care

I stopped shaving my legs, knowing I did a horrible job, but I didn't care. I needed to get out of here now. Speedily doing a fast rinse, I got out of the shower and dried off. I put on my clothes and packed all of my toiletries as fast as I could.

I wanted to run out the front door while Vinny's visitor was still here. That was the first time he tried to walk into the bathroom while I was in the shower, and it would be the last. I didn't want to shower here again.

That night long ago when Vinny had made his first advance toward me came to mind, and I suddenly felt the need to vomit. It had scared the crap out of me. No one knew the truth about that night. I had once told Kaleb a little bit about what happened, but it hadn't been the whole story.

"Really? She said she'd be here. We really need to work on this project, sir. Our futures depend on it." Kaleb said from the front door. "Are you sure she isn't here? Would you mind checking one more time?"

"She ain't here, kid. I haven't seen her in days." Vinny lied.

"I'm here!" Without thinking, I grabbed my stuff and ran down the hallway toward Kaleb, my saving grace. I ran right into his arms. "I'm here."

"Oh, 'bout time you got home. I've been worried sick. Did you just come in the back door?" Vinny was telling bold-faced lies.

"No. I've been here, and you know it, Vinny. Come on. We need to get to work on that project." I tugged at Kaleb's sleeve before he started to follow me.

"At this time of night, which project is that exactly?" Vinny snidely asked. "That wouldn't be taking my girl's virginity, would it? Cuz she ain't no virgin. That one sleeps around. We ain't running no whorehouse, River."

Kaleb stopped dead in his tracks. I could feel the anger and heat emanating from him. A deep gutteral sound echoed in his chest before he turned around. "Excuse me? Would you mind repeating all that?"

"No." Vinny's tone was cold.

"She's not your girl." Kaleb turned around to deliver that message.

"What did you just say, you punk ass little peckerhead?" Vinny spouted off like Kaleb was a drunkard at the bar.

"Nothing. He didn't say anything." I lowered my voice to a whisper as I caught Kaleb's sleeve. "Please, Kaleb. He's been drinking. Don't listen to him. He says crap like that all the time."

"I know. I'm just sick of his shit, River." Kaleb turned back toward me and grabbed my hand. 

Chills ran all over my body like happy innocent little kids. I loved feeling his skin against mine.

Without saying anything else, Kaleb led me to his truck parked on the road. His hand tightened around mine.

"Hey, I asked you a question, boy," Vinny hollered.