Episode Eighteen

A knock at the door woke me up

A knock at the door woke me up. I glanced at my phone. It was twelve-thirty. I rolled off the couch and walked to the front door.

Kaleb stood there wearing his leather jacket, and damn it, with his messy hair and how he smelled, I wanted to hug him just to be closer to him. I needed to stop meeting up with him.

"Hey," Kaleb spoke so low it was almost a whisper.

"Hey, come in," I waved him inside and closed the door, locking it.

"So, what's going on?" Kaleb asked as he opened the fridge and pulled out a can of soda.

"Someone tried to follow me home last night. They parked near the pumps at work, and when I left to come home, they almost followed me all the way here, but I went back to work instead. Roxy had to run them off with threats of calling the cops." I sat down on a stool at the breakfast bar.

Kaleb took a swig of the soda. "Do you have any idea who it was?"

I shook my head. "No. That's why I needed to talk to you."

"Yesterday, I went off on Randy and a few other guys on the team during practice, and Coach overheard it all. Coach demoted them to second string for what they've been saying all week." Kaleb took a few more drinks as he searched my eyes. "It was smart to get Roxy to help you. It was probably one of the players wanting to see where you live. Randy never went to your trailer, did he?"

"No. I met him at the park once, but the other two times, I met him at the Truck Stop. I knew he'd judge me if he saw the trailer." I walked into the kitchen to get a soda, needing some caffeine to wake me up. Popping open the can, I took a drink.

"If it happens again, text me, then go to Roxy, and she'll run them off." Kaleb removed his jacket and sat on the couch, setting his soda on the coffee table.

"Are you sure it's not someone your mother hired?" I set my drink on the coffee table and sat beside him, pulling my feet up.

"My mother has no idea what's going on with my money. My grandmother made sure of that. I deal with my grandmother and her lawyer when it comes to my inheritance." Kaleb ran his fingers through his dark hair.

I followed the movement of his hand, hoping it would land near me. His hand fell on my foot as he grabbed it, looking me over.

"So, how was it meeting the parents tonight?" Kaleb worked his jaw.

"Huh? Oh, you mean Travis's parents? They're nice, I guess." I shrugged and grabbed my soda, taking another drink.

"You two are official now?" Kaleb asked.

I nodded and smiled, remembering how Travis hung the keychain in my face. "Yeah. He asked me today."

Kaleb didn't smile back. "I know. I heard you laughing all the way down the hall."