✧ CHAPTER 2 - CRUELTY

possible tws: bloodshed and description of gore, mild swearing in end notes (if "hell" counts)

_______

--3RD PERSON--

--3RD PERSON--

tanjiro's shoes met the snowy ground with rhythmic crunches as he bid saburo-san farewell. his friend [name] must've went ahead early, since his futon was already neatly put away by the time he woke up. still, tanjiro was slightly disheartened that his newfound friend left him without teling him, but [name] probably had a good explanation!

he took in the frosty morning air, inhaling the abundant smells of fresh clouds and alpine breeze. what's especially strange was that he caught the faint scent of.. blood.

tanjiro reeled, intaking another deep breath and hoping it was wrong. someone might've been injured, he reasoned. but as he hiked further up the mountain, the scent got abundantly stronger.

he ran. tanjiro nearly slipped on the snow multiple times in his haste, but he felt an impending sense of dread and despair. the scent nearly choked him with how it flooded his nose all at once, but nothing compared to the sight. not far from his family's quaint hut was [name]'s still body faced down, his face turned to the side and concealed from tanjiro's sight. there was a dense pool of blood under him that sank into the soft snow, still fresh and staining the pure white.

moving quickly, he rushed to turn [name] over and pick him up, maybe if he moved fast enough he could be able to take him inside to somehow treat his wounds–

tanjiro blanched, face paling. [name]... his ribs were exposed, peeking out from a cavity in his chest.. alongside his jaw which seemed to look unnaturally hanging from the rest of his head. could this have been an attack from a wild animal?

snapping out from his frantic thoughts, he quickly picked up [name] while ignoring the blood that smeared on his haori and scarf.

he could only feel more devastation when he opened the shoji leading to the inside of his house.