3

"If it is meant to be it shall find a way to happen."

As I walk back into the hotel room I am met with a curious Justin. "What took you so long?" He asks grabbing the bucket of ice out of my hands. "I, uh, had to go to a different floor because the ice machine on this one wasn't working." It amazes me how fast I come up with that lie. I haven't told him about Ruby, I never planned to. I take a glance at my palm to see the scribbled number. I ball my fist up and walk into the bathroom. What am I going to do? Should I call? Should I just wash the number off my hand and completely forget about the encounter we just had? When I leave out the bathroom Kimora is standing there waiting for me to come out. "You took forever, I have to pee!" She yelps before running into the bathroom. I can't help but laugh.

"She's very adorable." Justin compliments her. I smile, "Do you even like children? Honestly?" I ask quirking my eyebrow up at him.

"As a matter of fact I do. If you would have asked you'd know I run many charities that help with underprivileged children." He says as he gives me a more than satisfied look with himself. "Come, eat breakfast." He grabs my hand and leads me to the table. I made your favorite. Grits, bacon, sausage and pancakes." I give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, you're so thoughtful."

"Anything for you."

~

"You said you'd never leave, you promised! How can you break your biggest promise to me....." I say as I sob into her shirt. "We were supposed to move in together, we were supposed to get out of Chicago, build a life together.... You can't just up and leave me!"

"Charnae, I'm sorry. I have to go. I can't stay. My parents say we have to go back to Australia. There's nothing I can do baby." She says as she wipes away tears from her eyes.

"Ruby, I love you.... You can't just walk out of my life! You can't!" I start to sob harder and she just holds me tighter.

"I love you too." She says as she kisses me. But this kiss is different. It's wanting, and needy. It's slow, and sensuous. A goodbye kiss.

She let's go of me, and I watch her walk out. Straight out of my life.

I wake up, my forehead slick with sweat. "It was just a memory." I say to myself. A horrible, heart breaking memory. I glance at the digital clock on the side dresser to see its 1am. I notice Justin and Kimora are fast asleep next to me. I carefully get out of bed, and make my way to the phone by the sofa. I dial the number Ruby scribbled onto my head and it rings, and rings. and ri-

"Hello?" It's her, oh god it's really her. "Hello? Anyone there?" She says in a slightly irritated tone.

"It's me." I say, and I hear her take in a breath through the phone.

"Charnae?" She says, as if she believes it isn't really me.

"Yea." My voice is barely above a whisper.

"I didn't think you'd actually call." I've missed her voice, I've missed her. Oh, God I've missed her so much.

"I need to see you, are you still checked in?"

"Yea, im in room 516." Her voice is shaky, I wonder why. "I'll be there in 5 minutes." And with that I hang up. I quickly glance in the mirror checking my appearance. I have bed head, but other then that I look okay. For the most part. I make my way to the door opening it as quietly as possible, slipping out without a sound. We're on the same floor, as I stand in front on her door I am suddenly unsure. Aren't you happy? Do you care for Justin? Why are you going to betray him like this? My subconscious is off It's leash tonight. But it's right. Why am I doing this? What am I doing, she left me! Not the other way around. I should turn around, stay far away from her.... But I can't, fuck I just can't stay away from her. I push aside my pride and knock on the door. When she opens the it I can't help but stare in awe. She's just as beautiful as she's ever been. She moves to the side gesturing me in. I take a seat on the sofa, and I can already feel the intensity leaking into the atmosphere.