7

"The truth doesn't stay in the dark for long."

"What the fuck was that?" I ask harshly. Ruby looks at me before attempting to speak.

"We'll talk about this when we get home." She looks at me awaiting a response. I don't why, but her saying when we get home made me less mad.

"Okay." When the word comes out my mouth she looks surprised and relieved. She nods her head as we sit down and wait for the next cab. I look over my shoulder to see Phoebe still standing there. She's watching us. I turn back around and lay my head on Ruby's shoulder. With doing so she wraps her arm around me.

"Remember Charnae, I love you. Only you. Always keep that in mind." She says as she places a soft kiss on my temple. She sounded sincere but I don't know. I hate feeling insecure, it's something I struggle with everyday. I don't like having to second guess myself either. I just continue to lay on her shoulder and be quiet.

When we make it to her amazingly beautiful condo I immediately go into her room and jump on her bed. It's so comfortable that I could sleep here forever! I get under the covers and Ruby walks in and laughs at me. "Comfortable?" She asks me with an amused look on her face.

"Very." I wait for her to say something then I decide to speak again myself. "Who is Phoebe?" I make sure that my voice is neutral. She takes a seat on the edge of the bed.

"She's someone I use to date." She looks at me before talking again. "I haven't seen her in over 5 months. Since I cut all ties with her. I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us and she was heart broken I guess. She couldn't take it accept the fact that I was in-love with someone else. That I was still in-love with you."

"I didn't know you were into white girls Ruby." I don't know why I said what I said. The thought stayed in my mind the whole ride here. Why would she continue to date me, a BLACK woman when she can have a beautiful white woman?

"For fucks sakes Charnae! Are you really bringing race into this? What, you think I don't want to be with you because you're black? Is that it? Haven't I proved that I love you! It's been 6 years and it's still you. What more will it take? What do I need to do to get it through that thick skull of yours that it's always going to be you!" She's angry. More like livid. Shit, I've pissed her off. "You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. No one will ever come close to you. I'll never love someone as much as I love you. You're the love of my life Charnae." Her voice is soft. She comes to lay next to me getting under the covers. She's so warm. She wraps her arm around my waist and pulls me close to her and sighs.

"Im sorry. I just get insecure sometimes and-" Ruby cuts me off mid sentence by putting her thumb over my mouth, running it across my bottom lip.

"Shhhhh, I understand. It's okay. I know you're tired. Get some rest love."

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you."

~

I wake up to Ruby snoring. She's still holding me closely to her, as if I might slip away. I just lay there and think. I feel like Ruby isn't telling me everything. Like there's more to the story. I won't question her anymore today about it. But I'll bring it up, and soon. I turn to face her and she's sleeping so peacefully. Her mouth is slightly open, her soft plump lips slightly swollen. God, she's beautiful.

"You're staring love." I jump at the sound of her voice and she laughs.

"Sheesh, Ruby you startled me!" I exclaim. "I thought you were still asleep." She pulls me on top of her placing her hand on top on my thighs.