"Daydreamer By Heart"

[Prologue]

It was a rainy day and M/N was casually admiring how beautiful the drops looked on the tree leaves from his room window,he heard a knock on the door and saw the receptionist of the second floor "Yes,noona?".She smiled "Someone came to visit you,I don't need to tell you who it is considering you already know who it is",M/N instantly ran out of his room with genuine excitement.Being the cheerful thirteen-year-old he was,he went down the stairs in a rush and saw his visitor.He ran to the man wearing a navy blue sweater and was greeted with a cheery laugh,that being Haknyeon.The older kneeled down since he was a few inches taller than him and ruffled the younger's hair "Did you miss me,buddy?",M/N nodded before seeing his hand "Hm,what's this?".Haknyeon grinned as he saw the ring "This is a gift from my friends,you should know about them already",the two went out to the roofed outdoor playground at the back of the orphanage so they could feel the cold wind.

As they talked with each other,M/N got to talk to Juyeon and Jacob who were lucky enough to call them at the same time that the rain was lighter and softer.Juyeon laughed as he heard M/N's remark "Did you really want to play in the rain?You know that you'll get sick,right?",M/N scoffed "As if that's something I don't like,I get to stay in my room and drink tea.Maybe I can even pass the time by reading books while listening to classical music,I don't know".He ran his hand through his hair and noticed that Haknyeon was looking at him "What?",the other smiled "You look handsome with your hair out of your forehead,it looks pretty attractive".The boy blushed and put his hair back down,clearly not wanting to make his reaction obvious.However,the two had already caught his face and were softly smiling as if they were there themselves.

After a while,M/N was back in his room with Haknyeon with him.The boy was tucked in bed while the other sat at the foot of his bunk bed,he pat his head as he smiled "Are you tired from being outside,hm?".M/N shook his head "Just a bit chilly,that's all",Haknyeon went by his side and cuddled him "Better?".M/N casually snuggled close and hid his face in his neck "Yeah,much much better~",Haknyeon laughed before kissing his forehead "Don't worry,I'll bring you out later once it's five o'clock.You'll be having dinner with me and my friends,they've been wanting to meet you since last year".M/N pouted "Will they like me anyway?I'm just some orphan who's smart but introverted,it's not like I'm anywhere near interesting",Haknyeon booped his nose "You're quite the interesting specimen,if you think about it.What do you like to read about the most again?".M/N spoke softly "I mean...I love learning about countries' laws and ordinances,maybe even want to have a book that has the entire context of them along with their reason to be created",Haknyeon looked down at him "See?That's already something that interesting about you,not many children like serious mature topics but a latter does.You are part of that latter,meaning you are interesting".M/N went silent,knowing well that he had nothing else to say since he was right.

Once he was asleep,Haknyeon stayed in his position even if he wasn't sleepy at all.He kept his eyes glued on M/N,a smile appearing on his face as he saw how adorable his soft breathing was.He felt a slight vibration in his pocket and slowly went off the bed,it was a call which he answered "Hm?What's up?".Juyeon spoke "Stray Kids and Ateez will join us for dinner later,you might want to get something ready for M/N",Haknyeon walked to the closet and opened it "Well,he still has the stuff I gifted him anyway.What's the attire you guys agreed upon?".Juyeon coughed "It's not like we had any agreement on that,he can even come with you in a full tux combination for all I know",Haknyeon laughed "Fine,I'll just get him into a coat and dress pants along with a black shirt and dress shoes.Make sure that you reserve a good place,somewhere he won't feel like he's too crowded or he's being near too many people".Juyeon nodded from the other end before hanging up,on the other hand,Haknyeon was already making the outfit.He carefully got the black shoes out and shined them,he looked for an accessory he could sport and it took him a while to finish the entire thing.

TIMESKIP

After an hour,M/N woke up and saw that there was an outfit hanging on the chair in front of his desk with a note stuck on the wood.He went out of bed and looked at it,he read the note with squinted eyes since he just woke up "G-get dressed and come...is that down?What does this mean?The first part is easy to understand but the second....I'll just get ready".He put everything on along with his accessories and got the stuff he might need before walking down to the first floor,he went off the last step before seeing that there was a van outside.He walked out to check it out but was startled when the door was opened,Hakneyon smiled "Get in,buddy!We have to fix you up before we actually meet with the others".M/N rubbed his neck "But I'm already fixed up,hyung...",Haknyeon gave his hand "A small amount of makeup and hairstyling isn't too bad,you know~".M/N bit his lip and went in,he sat at the back and the stylists that Haknyeon knew started to get to work.It took a while but M/N finally finished with everything and he looked perfect,Haknyeon carefully put the sunglasses on him as he grinned "There,now you look handsomer than ever.Not that you weren't in the first place,don't worry".M/N couldn't even look at him since he was feeling way too flustered to even speak,the stylists packed everything up right before sitting down.The car started moving and M/N was already overthinking about what was gonna happen within a few minutes,however,all he needed to do was look at Haknyeon and smile at how endearing he looked.He turned away before he could catch him,thinking as he looked out the window : "I wonder what it'll be like to really be by his side...."