𝐎𝐍𝐄 ♛ 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

────────────

────────────

ONE;
BECKONING

────────────

     MOST DO NOT know the way of hunger like a commoner does. The pain and aching of the stomach is a natural thing for people like me to have. Eating food is only a necessity at this point. It cannot be done for fun or for luxury. People like me eat what we can to survive. Being in a house with only a mother means little to no food, no matter the season. We do not have a man to provide for us. Men are the power where I come from. A woman is nothing.

ㅤ I swipe my hand through the water, testing the temperature of the liquid. My mother works in a bakery which means she's on her feet all day. By the time she gets home at nearly moon high her feet ache and all she wants to do is relax. Since I can't find work I've made it my job to make sure she's relaxed when she's home. I tidy up the house, put out fresh bread and milk, and draw her a warm bath to help relax.

ㅤShe emerges into the bath chambers a few moments after I've finish filling up the tub. I turn as she takes off her fabrics. Once I hear her step into the bath I grab the bathing cloth and dip it in the water. She holds out her arm for me and I drag the cloth lightly along her arm. She hums peacefully to herself, the same tune she usually does.

ㅤ"How was work today?" I ask simply. I know she never really likes conversation after spending all day out, but I haven't spoken to anyone all day and it's been dreadful. Dayron, whom I'd usually spend the day with, has been training with his father all month. He wants to become a knight like his father.

ㅤ"Oh, quite busy. As usual, I hear things. You know those men- always loud. King Viserys has named Rhaenyrs the next heir." She explains in a few breaths. I perk up on the stool. Usually my mother doesn't like to talk about politics, but especially Viserys in general. Anytime I've ever tried to bring him up I've usually been shut down or told very little information.

ㅤ"Well, I think that's a smart choice. Having a woman sit on the throne would be a good change." I say, dipping the cloth back into the water then dripping some of the water down her neck. She leans back and her eyes flutter closed. Her lips are parted, as if she may speak.

ㅤ"Having a woman sit on the Iron Throne would be a catastrophe. The men would kill themselves trying to push her off of it and claim it themselves. I can't imagine what Daemon must be doing." She continues. I find myself shocked that we're still talking about politics. We talk about a lot of things, but never this. I walk around to the other side of the tub and kneel. She extends her arm for me. I press the cloth onto her skin. She exhales.