𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄 ♛ 𝐈𝐍 𝐌𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄

────────────

────────────

TWELVE;
IN MY WAKE

────────────

      THE JOURNEY TO Winterfell takes six days instead of seven. The two-hundred something men traveling with us is smaller than the numbers we usually journey with, therefore the trip was made shorter. Winterfell is just like the stories say it to be- harshly cold but unthinkably beautiful. I've never seen so much snow stick to the ground, nor so much beauty in one place.

          Kotove and his army are camping just over the hill that we rest on. We have sent observers out to get a look at his camp. There are at least three thousand men with viable resources. Their formation is strong, as well. The grand tent, where Kotove would be staying, is stationed in the middle, surrounded by all of the other tents. They're nearly six miles out from the castle gates themselves, far too close for anyones liking. We've only been here for two days, but in this time they haven't moved camp up at all. It's like their waiting for something to come to them instead.

         "This doesn't make any sense." Sermond says from across the fire. I break another twig down the middle and toss it into the flames. I watch as it slowly disintegrates under the heat of the fire.

          "It does. Kotove is expecting us to come to him. And, if I'm correct, he'll want to kill me. He won't hesitate to do so. His mother has likely told him a hundred times how I murdered his father in cold blood, although that is less than true." I answer with a grimace. Kotove's mother likely told her son of his fathers success and power, not of his failure and rebellion. He seeks revenge because he thought his father was a good one, not a backstabbed and a traitor to his own brother and nieces.

          "What are we to do? We'll run out of resources eventually." Sermond says, as if I'm not already aware. I shoot him a sideways glance. He sits up straighter.

         "Tomorrow I plan on making my way down there and confronting him. I do not want a battle, we do not have nearly the number of men for a battle. I want to settle this with my words. And since he's young, maybe he'll listen." I state with a firmness in my voice that will not be towed. I'm going to do it, wether I have his agreement to it or not. I will not invite bloodshed into this land if it can be helped.

          "You are a wise woman, but I fear that going by yourself may not allow you to return." Sermond's voice is dipped in fear. He does not want to loose me. I can understand it. I don't want to die.