𝐓𝐖𝐎 ♛ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐃

────────────

────────────

TWO;
THE SHUNNED

────────────

      OF COURSE, THE announcement of my engagement to Sermond did not settle well with my mother nor Dayron. After we had gone back to my home and explained the situation, Dayron left furiously, then his father suggested they leave, so they did. Once our home was cleared again, my mother sat me down at the table and asked me a few questions. She was confused, at first, but after explaining my feelings she understood. She still isn't particularly happy about the arrangement.

          It's been a few days since everything happened. I've been obeying my tasks of setting out the bread and filling up the bathtub for when mother comes home. I've also been avoiding leaving the house. Seeing Dayron would likely leave me shell shocked. I haven't seen him since that night. Sermond comes by every day when my mother isn't home and we sit down at the table and chat about this and that.

         I haven't a clue when we're going to officially marry, but since he's not set to go off for another few months we have plenty of time to discuss. I worry continuously about him leaving and possibly getting injured. Plenty of knights get hurt, plenty of them don't, but I can't help but think about all the things that could go wrong.

          I've just finished filling up the tub when my mother comes through the door in a hurry. Her hair looks sort of matted, which is unusual for her. She works in a bakery, a low paced job, there's so reason for her hair to be sticking out everywhere.

          She urges me to the kitchen and sits me down at the table next to her. Her aggressively picks at the skin around her nails. She has yet to speak, but I can tell that whatever it is, it's serious. I begin to worry. Did Sermond get hurt? Did he change his mind about the marriage?

           "Your father..." she begins, but shakes her head firmly. She's only brought my father up one other time, when I was five. I had asked where he was. I saw a little girl in the village playing with an older man. I asked who he was and she said her father. So, I went home and asked my mother where my father was. She told me he was a noble knight who died in combat. Nothing more nothing less.

          "Was not a knight, exactly. He is a lot more useful than that, actually." She begins to explain. Her tone lowers when she speaks about him, as if she's afraid someone may hear. She takes my hands in hers. Her touch is warm, but I find myself not being able to take comfort in that. I'm too afraid for what she is going to say next.