chapter four

this chapter is gonna have more of
vance's thoughts and views on things !———
"who was that?" bruces mother demanded, the second he was inside. bruce shrugged nonchalantly. "my boyfriend," she put on a smile, but annoyance clearly laced her tone. "your what?" he grabbed out some leftovers, wanting to heat them up. "my boyfriend?"he repeated. "vance hopper." her composure visibly wavered and he glanced to her. "you and dad wanted me to get into a relationship, yeah?" she gritted her teeth. "well, yes.. but we were expecting someone.. more up to your standards." she sucked in air through her teeth, lowering her voice. "and preferably a girl." bruce didnt catch that bit. "what do you mean, mom? he is up to my standards. you wouldn't know, you've never met him." she inhaled. "well, why don't you invite him to—"

"to dinner? yeah. tomorrow, i already invited him." he smiled, putting the food in the microwave. "i'm sure you'll love him."
—————————
"what? you can't just let me know now! i need to know about these things before hand, man! you should've texted me." vance glared. he was not ready to meet with the bruce's parents. "you'll do fine, vance. i already told my mom you could meet her tonight, no going back now." vance dropped his cigarette, stepping on it. "uhm, tell her i'm busy??" he crossed his arms. bruce shook his head. "she doesnt change plans. plus, it doesn't even matter, they arent supposed to like you, so.. just be you!" he gave a sarcastic grin. "the fuck is that supposed to mean?" bruce waved his hand dismissively. "take it how you want to."

vance glared, but all he got was a smile in return — oh how the tables have turned. "look, it'll be simple. you can walk home with me, we'll have dinner, they'll
meet you, and then you can go home. boom, easy." vance sighed. "fine, whatever." bruce smiled. "thanks. i'll see you after class?" vance gave a small nod, and with that, bruce was off to his classes. 
                 —————————
"don't you get a ride to school? why do you walk home?" vance asks, looking up at the other. "my parents are both at work still, they pick me up when i have baseball practice, though." vance hummed in reply. "oh, um, by the way.." bruce hesitated. "i have a baseball game this weekend and, uhm, i was hoping you'd maybe come? just— just to, you know, really sell that we're dating." vance smiled, patting bruce's shoulder. "awe, babe, if you just wanted me to come to your game you can askkk. no need to lie," bruce swatted his hand away. "for fucks sake." he groaned. "hands to yourself." vance just snickered, wrapping his arms around him. "c'mon, dont you love me?"

"no." he pushed vance off, just earning another grin in return. "anyways. i noticed you showed up to, what, three classes today?" vance nodded. "yeah. i was just— bored." bruce smiles. "well, if you're 'bored' more often, maybe you can pass this year." vance shrugged. "maybe, i guess." they walk in silence for a bit. not an awkward silence, though. it's comfortable. vance eventually brought his gaze to bruce. he looked like he zoned out again. vance was really surprised that he managed to pay attention in class for how much he zoned out. although, he had to admit he found it kinda cute. he looks down to his lips. then back to his eyes. he found the him absolutely beautiful, he couldn't help just a little admiring.

bruce looked at him, waving his hand in front of his face. "helloooo?" vance flinched and swatted his hand away. "keep your hands away from my face, dipshit."
"you were staring at me."
"no, i was definitely staring behind you."

bruce rolls his eyes. "whatever— we're here." he turned down the sidewalk, towards his house. "no one's home so we can go over stuff before dinner, alright?" bruce said, turning the door knob and pushing the door open. vance nodded. "alright." he looked around the house, it was pretty big and it was really nice, he thought. the counters where white marble, and they looked very clean, the whole house did — not something vance was really used to. it smelled like warm vanilla, it was comforting. especially in comparison to the smell of his own house, which had a smoky smell. he already liked bruce's house way more than his own. "nice house." vance stated.

bruce turned to look at him for a second, smiling softly. "oh, thanks." he replied. "come on, lets go up to my room." vance nodded, following behind him.

he kept looking around the house, there were a lot of family photos. a lot. that was strange to vance. his family never even took family photos. everything definitely had a theme — all the furniture was white and light gray. he followed bruce up the stairs and, no surprise, he was met with more photos. he stops in front of one. "awe— is that baby bruce?" he snickered. bruce turned quickly. "hey!" he grabbed vance's hand, pulling him into the room. "for the record, yes, and i was a cute child."

vance laughs softly, looking around the room. it looked how he expected it would. there was a shelf filled with trophies, most were from baseball but some were unrecognizable. he had a couple jerseys on the wall, along with an anarbor poster, from the album 'burnout'.

"oh, you like anarbor?" he smiled, looking at bruce. "oh yeah! my favorite song is 18." bruce said, smiling back. "i love that song too!" vance sat down beside bruce. "wow, we do have something in common." he chuckled and bruce nodded. "enough about music, though. lets go over things for dinner, yeah?" he leaned back. "right, yeah." vance looked at him. he'd almost forgotten that they were only talking to eachother because bruce wanted to piss off his parents. bruce didnt like him, why was he letting his mind wander. it was fake.
——————————————————
word count: 1,034
IM SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS LOWKEY ASS💔 also, if you dont get the reference, 18 by anarbor is the song this fic is based on! :)
[edited]