chapter eleven

trigger warning, drug use !

oh god. there was no way. he was not in love with vance hopper. not even close. right? fuck, he hated what this guy was doing to him. he couldn't think straight — literally. surely if he wasnt around vance, the feelings would just go away. although that was gonna be kinda hard, considering vance was the only one he wanted to be around.
———–———————
it had been three days since bruce had decided to ghost vance, and he felt really shit about it. vance had messaged him repeatedly asking if he'd done something and if the other was okay, and bruce just hadn't replied. guilt was eating at him, so despite his plan, he was currently on his way to vance's house. he played with the zipper on his – vance's – jacket. he figured the other probably wanted it back. once he got to vance's house, he stared at the door for what felt like forever. he took a deep breath before knocking slowly. it took a while, and bruce was about to leave, but eventually vance opened the door. shirtless. he opened the fucking door shirtless. "hi, vance, i— gah!" bruce' eyes went wide before he quickly covered them, his face reddening. "jesus, do you just always open the door with your shirt off??" vance shrugged, not that bruce could see.

"decided i'm worth talking to now, huh?" bruce moved his hands, taking a deep breath. he tried to keep eye contact with vance. "i know, i'm sorry. i shouldnt have ghosted you, especially after all you've done for me." his gaze flickered over vance's face. he looks tired— correction, absolutely exhausted. he has dark circles under his eyes, and he looks like he's been crying. his lips are pressed in a thin line, and he smells of cigarette smoke, much stronger than usual. he brought a hand up to run through his knotted hair. "i was really fucking worried about you, bruce." he took a deep breath, anger was lacing his tone at first, but it faded rather quickly. his gaze never parts from bruce's. "you scared the shit out of me." he didnt give bruce time to say anything in reply before he pulled him in for a hug.

bruce hugg d back, a soft smile crossing his lips. "i'm really sorry. i just—" he stops himself. "nevermind." vance let go of him. "do you want to come in?" bruce nodded. "yeah, please. i have, uhm, something i want to talk to you about." vance raised a brow, but doesn't push yet. he took bruce's hand in his own, leading him inside and to his room. bruce glanced around the room, it was definitely messier than it was the last time he was over. vance sat down on his bed, bruce sitting beside him. it didn't take them long to start a conversation about the most random things. bruce wasn't sure how he survived without the other the past couple days, or how he'd managed to get so attached so quickly. eventually, the conversation died down, and a comfortable silence fell over them. vance lights a cigarette, pressing it to his lips. "you're allowed to smoke inside?" bruce questioned. vance exhaled. "sweetheart, i'm not allowed to smoke at all."

"oh." is all bruce says in reply. "want some?" vance half-jokes.

"what?" bruce looks at him in shock. "it's just weed. just one hitttt." he waves the cigarette near him, before chuckling. "just kidding, i wouldn't want to pressure you into something like that." bruce hesitated. "actually, uhm, could i try..?" vance's eyes widened slightly, in shock. "uh, yeah, sure." he held it out to him, and bruce hesitantly took it. he placed it against his lips, inhaling slowly. then, he started coughing. vance took the cigarette back from him. "is that your first ever hit?" he chuckled softly. "ohmygod—" he took a minute to calm himself down, then he shot vance a glare. "yes, vance, that was my first ever hit— my poor virgin lungs." he complained, then elbowed vance. "not to mention, i couldve died! and you were just laughing at me!" all he got was another laugh from vance. "you wouldnt have died, i promise." bruce smacked his shoulder softly.

"you're not a very caring boyfriend." he complained. "i promise you, i wouldve helped you if it got bad—" bruce waved his hand dismissively. he decided he was definitely never going to do that again. however, it didn't take long for him to start to feel out of it. he wasn't sure if that little amount really fucked him up, or if it was the second hand smoke — he decided it was probably the latter.

he laid his head on vance's lap, looking up at him. he reached up and pokes his nose, then he giggles softly. vance raised a brow. "jesus, did that really get you high??" vance says, concern lacing his tone. "maybe it's time for you to sleep—"

"nooo." bruce shook his head. "i cant look at you if i'm asleeeep, pretty boy." vance rolled his eyes, but he cant stop the light blush from crossing his cheeks. "shut up, you're high. come on, it's time to sleep." he moved bruce's head out of his lap and laid his head down on the pillow. he laid beside bruce, who immediately clung onto him. vance's blush deepened. "uhm, bruce— are you close enough?" he laughed quietly. "no, not really." bruce said in reply, opening his eyes again to look at vance. vance looked back, their noses almost touching. its silent for a few, before bruce speaks up. "vance?" he says softly. "yeah?" vance replies, neither of them dare break eye contact.
"i think i like you."
——————————————————
word count: 971
oh, finally a confession ! this couldn't possibly be turned super sad, right?
[edited]