chapter fourteen

the night of the party came along much quicker than bruce had intended. he wasn't going to go with vance, of course. but he desperately needed a distraction — and this seemed like the best idea. he wasn't worried about running into vance, which he probably should've thought about. he didn't have anyone to go with, not because he literally didn't have anybody, he just didn't want to go with them. he dug through his closet. what do you even wear to parties? he didn't know, he never went when he was invited. his parents usually wouldn't allow him. but they decided this one wouldn't be too bad for him. bruce had barely left his room, they were thankful for him to be doing something. he eventually decides on some black jeans and white t-shirt — with vance's jacket. he knew he was supposed to be moving on, but he couldn't help himself. he'd worn the jacket everywhere lately. it still had that vance smell and he loved that, even if he knew he shouldn't.

he fixes his hair and then headded downstairs. his dad eyed him. "ain't that vance's jacket?" bruce slowly nodded. "yeah? what about it?"

"shouldn't you have given it back?" he asked. "he didn't ask for it back." bruce shrugged. "keeping it isn't going to help you move on." his dad said. "i dont care. i'm not getting rid of it." he shot his dad a glare. his dad rolled his eyes. "i think this is good for you." bruce scoffed. "what?" his dad nodded. "yeah, i never liked that kid anyways." bruce stared at him for a couple seconds. "are you fucking kidding me?" he started, although his dad interrupts him. "hey, watch the langu—" bruce didnt let him finish.

"god, why do you never listen? you dont care about anything other than yourself. everything just always has to be up to your standards, huh? and because vance wasn't he just doesn't matter? you're such an asshole. i loved him, dad!" he took a deep breath. "i still love him. and you don't care at all, because you decided he isn't what you like. its not your fucking love life!" tears pricked at his eyes. "can you not see much this is upsetting me? you just decided that it was 'good for me'? i don't care." he walked to the door. "you're really selfish." he opened the door, leaving the house. he closed – slammed it behind himself.

god, that actually felt kinda good to get off his chest. he couldn't lie, he already felt like he was in a better mood. the house wasn't very far from his, so he decided to just walk — it was much easier to walk than to try and convince his parents to let him use the car. he looks around as he walks, and everything reminded him of vance. that was really annoying, considering he was doing this to forget about vance. to move on. he looks up, noticing he's nearing the house. he takes a deep breath. things like this always gave him anxiety, but he figured he could get over it. he walks up to the door. he wasn't sure if he was supposed to knock. did you just barge in at parties? he starts to knock, but the door was opened before he got the chance. and, just his luck, it was none other than vance.

bruce's breath hitches in his throat. "oh." he said softly. vance doesn't say anything. he stepped to the side and lets him in. bruce speed-walked past him. shit, why did he think he would manage not to run into him? vance was the one who invited him to the party. whatever, vance stuck out of the crowd pretty easily, he should be decently easy to avoid. right?

right. he did a pretty good job not running into vance for most of the party, he saw him a couple times but he easily made it to another part of the house. he was thankful for his luck, and was actually enjoying himself. he hadn't had anything to drink — or smoke — and didn't plan on it. he'd made a couple friends that he had hung out with for a while, but he wasn't sure where they'd gone off to. but he was content, and for once, he wasn't thinking of vance. that didn't last long, though. he made the mistake of wandering into the living room, where he saw vance. on the couch. with none other than hannah smothering him. bruce felt his heart drop. vance looked at him, and they both just stared. bruce started to tear up. he knew he should've accepted the fact that vance didn't like him by now, but seeing him with someone — especially hannah, because she just annoyed him — really hurt. he swallowed thickly, he decided he was done with the party. he turned and headed for the door, light footsteps behind him. it was pouring outside, but he went out anyways.
    "bruce, wait! its not what you think, at all."

——————————————————
word count: 872
sad to announce this book may be coming to an end soon </3
no vance or bruce slander i'll send wilbur after you😐
[edited]