chapter seven

bare with me, i dont know much       
                        about baseball 
trigger warning; homophobia, f slur
   ———
it was saturday, the day of bruce's game. him and vance had parted ways after school the day before, and neither of them had brought up the kiss. however, it was the only thing bruce could think about. he didnt get much rest that night, because it was all he could think about. was he actually falling for vance hopper? a boy? he shook his head. he needed to focus on getting his stuff together for his baseball game, and he needed to get that kiss out of his head, so he could focus on the game. game, game, game, kiss, game-fuck. he groaned. he grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. surely once he was there, he would easily be able to drop it, right?

bruce let his dad drive him to the game, and it was awkward. after the dinner, neither of them really wanted to talk to the other. but, even if his dad didn't approve of his love life, he still wanted to support his son in everything to the best of his ability. bruce was very grateful to get out once they got there, the awkward silence was killing him. he quickly went over to the field while his dad sat in the stands. he looked through the people in the stands, disappointment washing over him when he didnt see vance. maybe he forgot? maybe something came up? whatever it was, vance probably had a good reason. he wouldn't tell bruce he was gonna show up and then just not. he tried not to think about it, waiting for the coach to assign everyone their places. lucky him, he got put up to bat first. he grabbed his bat and went to the base, getting set up. he gave one last hopeful glance towards the crowd, and he saw vance standing to the side of the bleachers. he smiled brightly. he didn't forget. and he wasn't busy — he was just a little late, it seems.

the ball flew past his head and bruce flinched. "yamada! get your head in the game!" his coach yells. right, right. game. not vance, or the kiss. fuck. the kiss. he tried to focus on the game, but now not only is the kiss back on his mind, vance is standing right over there. he swallowed thickly and looks at the pitcher again, trying to give the game his full attention.
     ————————
bruce's team had won the game, but just barely. he was glad that he was able to distract himself for a little. he started to head over to vance, but one of his teammates approaches him. "nice job, man!" bruce smiled. "thank you! you too, you did amazing, oliver." the teammate — oliver — smiled back. "thanks, but it was all you. you totally saved our asses in the end there!" he laughed, bruce laughed softly as well. "yeah, i kinda messed up our start though, so, i had to—" his teammate shrugged. "that doesn't matter! all that matters is that we won. by the way, did you see that vance hopper is here?" he glanced in vance's direction, then back to bruce. "oh! yeah, i invited him."

"huh? why?" he raised a brow. "oh, uhm, he's my boyfriend so.." bruce shrugged. oliver scoffed. "boyfriend?" bruce nodded. "yeah? thats what i said?" 
        "oh." oliver cleared his throat. "i just.. uhm.. i didnt realize you were.. that way." bruce looked at him, confusion washing over his face. "what? 'that way'? what do you mean?" bruce crossed his arms. "you know.." he trailed off. "one of them."
"excuse me? 'one of them'? what the hell do you mean by that?" bruce glared. "a fag, bruce. i didn't think you were a fucking fag." bruce's eyes widened, and he stared at oliver in shock. the other looked completely unphased by what he just said, but a little disgusted at what bruce had said. bruce swallowed harshly. "o-oh." is all he seems to manage out.
"what the fuck did you just say to him?" it seemed neither of them had noticed vance coming over to them whilst they were talking.
——————————————————
word count: 712
short chapter, im v sorry </3
[edited]