20 | the new normal

CHAPTER TWENTY
the new normal

CHAPTER TWENTYthe new normal

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*・✧

2 months later...

Robin couldn't lie. Her relationship with Azalea did not have an easy start.

Her past impression of relationships was that they started light and happy, a simple and flirty stage first.

But she and Azalea fell for each other hunting for Russians and monsters. Their relationship was never going to be normal.

It started as Azalea grieved her father. As Robin adjusted to understanding the Hawkins she knew was never normal or boring.

And as they both came to understand Hawkins would never accept them. Besides Steve and Dustin, no one could know they were together.

They could only exist in secret.

They existed in comforting hand squeezes at Adriel Monroe's funeral.

They existed in carrying moving boxes together, Azalea's belongings piling into the Henderson's extra room. Her new bedroom.

They existed in shoes touching under diner tables. In sharing drinks in Steve's basement. In spending the nights avoiding nightmares by chatting them away.

They existed in stolen glances on the first day of school.

Steve's car horn blared from outside, telling Azalea and Dustin he was there to pick them up.

Azalea threw her backpack over her shoulder and ran to knock on Dustin's door, "Steve's here!"

"I know!" He shouted back with a groan, "I have ears!"

"Sassy," Azalea mumbled bitterly under her breath.

Finally, Dustin swung his bedroom door open revealing his first day outfit and a scowl on his face.

"I swear on my dead cat, if you say a single about my shirt, I will lose my mind." Dustin blurted sharply not meeting her eye, "This is the fifth outfit I've tried and...I can't start over again."

He was so nervous.

Azalea tried to leave any expression off her face as she scanned his 'Weird Al' shirt. It was definitely a bold choice for his first day of high school, but Dustin was a bold kid. She kept her mouth shut.

Steve honked again. The two rolled their eyes before heading out of the house together.

Azalea beat Dustin to the car, quickly whisper-yelling as she jumped into the back seat, "Say nothing about his shirt,"

Steve opened his mouth to ask, but his question was answered when Dustin clambered into the front seat.

"Weird Al," Steve noted nonchalantly, "Nice."