Chapter 2

Only a few days later, the bowers gang felt, well back together. Henry, Vic, Belch, and Patrick- these fours created the bones of the group while others came and went, these four were always there. Patrick has made disappearing acts in the past so it didn't phase Vic nor Belch why they hadn't seen Patrick in weeks. No one asked about it.   

The four of them met at the barrens. Henry had plans of hunting down the Losers, and no one objected to the idea. they just didn't love the idea of waiting around all day. But they did. They wandered the Barrens for what felt like the 1000th time this summer. 

hours passed and there was no sight of them anywhere. 

Victor was tired and bored so finally, he spoke up "They ain't here Henry. There isn't any reason to be wasting the day looking for nothing. I'm bored, sorry Hen, but I'm heading out." Henry nodded, he didn't care much who was there or not. Mainly right now, when nothing was happening, absolutely nothing. "I think there might be a good movie playing at the Aladin, think I'm gonna head there," again Henry nodded, as a sign of acknowledgment. "If any of you wanna come?"This time Belch was the one nodding. 

"yeah, I'll come, think I might have enough coins on me to buy me a ticket. Henry, Patrick either of you comin?" Belch spoke with one of his hands in his pockets, fidgeting with the coins while mentally counting them. He was right he had enough for one ticket and that alone. 

"I'll wait around here for a bit to see what comes up, ya know?" Henry answered. Now all eyes were on Patrick waiting for his answer. 

"you two go on ahead. I'll stay with Henry and make sure the SeWEr MoNSteR doesn't get him," Patrick joked, hands raised making childish hand movements when referring to the 'sewer monster'. They all smiled and bid their goodbyes. 

Then it was two. Somehow that day Henry felt that Patrick was back to being his friend. He wasn't worried anymore about being around Patrick alone. 

"You think we gonna find them?"Patrick asked

"nope." 

"too bad, I was hoping to have soOOMMEE fun at least," Patrick said walking beside next to Henry.

"Hey, you saying being around me ain't fun?" Henry bumped his shoulder into Patrick's. 

"I mean beating up people is fun, but I guess you aren't too bad either," Patrick was smiling again.

"you're a dick, you know that", Henry smiled too. It was such a simple conversation yet the two of them enjoyed it twice as much as anyone else in Derry. Cause, in the end, it was just Patrick and Henry. Under all the trauma and suffering they were just two very simple people, and being in each other's presence could be enough. That's why Henry missed Patrick so much during those two weeks, no matter the reason for their separations, they'd always miss each other. it was a simple fact. "Thanks for sticking around."  Those words were enough to make Patrick stop in his tracks. 

As long as Patrick has ever known Henry, he has never heard him thank anyone for anything. Henry wasn't like that, and neither was Patrick. So Henry saying that felt like an envelope of his hidden self. The parts Henry hides from the world cause he didn't want anyone to know he was weak. But Henry wasn't weak, he was just a teenager with too many problems, that all sense of his childhood was taken from him. So he tries to have control over anything cause he was tired of everyone taking parts of him. Patrick finally felt like he understood Henry- he understood his friend after 8 years from a 4-word sentence. "You're welcome."

The two walked through the forested Barrens all afternoon. No longer trying to find the losers but instead just trying to understand each other. That day they showed the unshielded versions of themselves, their true selves. It was crazy after all that had happened the two felt closer than they had any other time, ever. 

So as they walked through the same place the two of them used to play guns and other childish games, all those years ago. They felt nostalgia. They felt like they were walking through the timeline of their friendship. 

 hours past

and then more.

By the time they stopped walking it had grown significantly darker. Dusk now, and the sun was setting. 

"-Oh, your just stupid Henry. That's why you have to go to summer school, don't go blaming the fat kid" Patrick smiled-he smiled the entire afternoon. he realized that there wasn't a time that afternoon when he hadn't been smiling, laughing, or just giggling.

"Fuck you!"Henry smiled too. 

He says that a lot, I mean fair enough. I am the definition of an asshole, Patrick thought. Henry shoved Patrick, he fell backward into the Barren's water. He was bout to laugh about his friend who looked like a wet dog- that was until Patrick yanked Henry in right after him. They were both drenched and smelled of the cold sewer water- technically gray water. 

They fished themselves out of the cold water, shivering cause of the breeze. As cold and as bad as they smelt, the two laughed and laughed. 

"Sorry, Pat. I forgot how dogshit your balance is. But at least we're even," Henry said while ringing out his shirt. "Wanna head to my house? It's closer. I'm not bout to make you walk all the way home soaking wet."

"yea sure whatever, but I call dibs on the first shower. A.. hot... shower..." Patrick seemed like he was about to moan over the idea of a shower, no one could blame him. 

so in almost complete darkness, they started to make their way to the Bower's Farm.