Chapter 12

"What do you mean?" There was a growing concern in Patrick. He had an idea of Henry in his mind and this trembling boy in front of him was not quite what he thought.

"Pat. Think.. For like a fucking minute" Henry's eyes met Patrick's gaze, it was harsh and cold.
"You murdered your brother for Christ-"

"HENRY" Patrick warned, a harsh whisper. As if others could hear them. Patrick panicked looking in each and every direction checking for anyone. "I'm not in the mood for the list of terrible things I've done"

"THAT'S MY POINT- Patrick, listen to me. You did that and the fridge. You were there with me with the whole fat kid thing last summer and so on and fucking on. No way the Kaspbrak thing is the real reason we're here Pat."

"It is why we are here and of course those things too but this is the only one brought to court without your dad." Patrick paused. "Why? What else are you implying?"

Patrick moved his hand from Henry's shoulder to his hair. For a second, Patrick swore he saw Henry flinch from it.

"You know that sometimes people..people like u-us end up at places like this,"

This time Patrick knew he saw it. He watched Henry just so slightly shift away from him.
"Like us? You mean-" Henry nodded "Just cause we're into dudes doesn't make it the reason we are here. No one knows. I'm sure other people are here for something like that but not us." Patrick stated as if he knew this was a fact and not some fictional comfort he'd conjured up for Henry's sake.

Henry made no effort so show any emotion towards what Patrick said. So, for once Patrick understood that what Henry needed.

And it wasn't him.

He removed himself from Henry's bed and walked away. That when he reached the other side of the room he felt still too close to where Henry didn't want him to be. As if there was some force field built upon tension between the two. So, he left the dorm as a whole.

As Patrick wondered through the halls of the school all he could think about was Henry. Apart of him wanted to protest Henry's actions and smother him with kisses and hold him until he understood nothing bad was going to happen when they are together.

The other part of him, had such a sense of  understanding that it took him off guard. It felt
Like a boulder in his chest, weighing down his heart trying to rip it apart. Henry already had issues with understanding his own feelings, so to be put into a situation where he could be punished for how he feels after finally escaping Butch. It meant that Henry had no chance of being happy. Ever.

When Patrick was first diagnosed he knew how perfect of a label it was to describe him. It took a while before he fully understood that his diagnosis of Solipsism meant feelings weren't his to experience. That was until this summer. Bowers changed that, even in the past weeks he felt more than he had in his entire life. It was him and Henry against the world. He felt himself turn into a slave of love towards his friend. He'd do anything for him even it meant sacrificing any chance of normal existence. Patrick would find a way to find the end of the Earth if Henry asked him to.

. . .

Dinner was in the cafeteria each evening, starting exactly at 5:30 each day. It stretched on for over an hour.  But by then the only thing left was usually the soggy peas and the suspicious meat stew. Most days the stew went un-touched. Something seemed off putting by it, some students thought the smell was disgusting and others just the look of it wanted to make them stay far away. Either way, each and every student there had at least one excuse to stay far away.