Chapter Four

FADED GOLD

(November 5, 2011) (Cheshvan 8) (Saturday)

The young girl flipped slowly through the book. Her father had marked a few scriptures for her to read, and she stopped on one of these.

"Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assur, assurances that he would deliver us; yea, in, so, much that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliver, deliverance in him."

She smiled before taking a paper and writing the scripture reference, Alma 58:11, on it. She wrote slowly, trying to make it clear and easy to read. Then she set it next to the golden flower in the window sill. "It's a good scripture, isn't it." She spoke to the flower. It almost seemed to nod, but when she blinked it was just standing still. "Do you want me to open the window?" She asked quietly. In the silence she heard the air cleaner and decided it best to not. Skipping out to the main room, she paused to watch her father cook.

"Dad, can I go to the park?" Chara asked.

"Sure. Be safe, don't get into any trouble. And be back in an hour for dinner."

"Yes, daddy."

He walked over and gave her a kiss on the forehead before smiling. Chara thought he looked tired. "I love you."

"I love you, too." The child hugged him before running out the door and down the long, metal steps. The stairs were such a dull greyish black; Chara had once tried to put flowers on the railing and edges of steps, but the neighbors always complained.

They always complained about anything Chara ever did. Maybe they liked being sad.

At the park across the street, several kids played on the playground. Others played fetch with their dogs. They all wore t-shirts and shorts. Chara shuttered, remembering when she first came here and could feel the stickiness of the air attach to her bare skin. She instinctively pulled her jacket sleeves closer to her palm.

Chara watched the cyan grass stand as other kids played around. "I don't get it," Chara spoke to the blades, the trees, the crowd, anything that was listening, "they all seem so happy here."

A bird chirped, cocking its head at her.

"How can people be happy in a place so sad?"

The bird lost interest when it realized she had no food. Chara watched it hop away, looking for crumbs.

"Domesticated," she sighed sadly.

Chara wandered around the park momentarily. She got a lot of glances from school mates, which she just ignored. She hummed and sang, trying to be careful where she stepped as to not disturb the grass trying hardest to grow. Eventually she stopped, looked around, then sat down, slouched on a nearby bench, to watch the birds in the tree.

"You know," someone started speaking, "I've never seen such a well known child so alone and sad."

"Ah," Chara quickly sat up.

The old man used his cane to lower himself next to her. He had a grey -- almost black -- aura. It wasn't necessarily a color, it just looked empty.

"I'm not that well known,"

"Have you not seen how people stop to look at you when you pass?"

"You mean the other kids?"

"And the school teachers."

"Oh, I just like telling people about the hybrids. The teachers don't seem to like me doing that. It makes humans look bad."

"That's true. Do you think we're bad?"

"Not really. It's more just sad. I think we're lost."

"Lost is a good word to describe it."

What is his soul?

"You're staring." He pointed out, and Chara quickly looked at the ground.

"Sorry."

"No, no. It's alright. Many people stare. It's very rare to see a face this scarred." He gave a smile.

Chara looked at him again, only now recognizing the very scarred face he had. "I didn't even notice. . ." For a moment they made eye contact. They both recognized the rare eyes. Very quickly, they continued watching the birds.

"So that's why you're staring."

"Yes, sir," she whispered.

"I expect you want to know why my soul is grey?"

"Y-yes. . ."

"Then allow me to add to your story."

"How so?"

"Determination, Patience, Justice, Bravery, Integrity, Kindness, and Perseverance."

"The seven soul traits."

"Yes, but do you know what each trait does?"

"No. . . I suppose not."

"Well, do you have time for me to explain?"

She looked at her watch. Forty-five minutes. "Yeah, I have time."

Chara sat in the dark tree, watching the kids near the river. They played and laughed. She felt a little envious. She had never had friends before. It looked like fun.

The wind blew gently, disturbing the leaves.

"Do you think the war between humans and feyists actually happened?" A young boy asked.

"Of course not. It's just a fairy tale." The kindness boy replied, kicking a rock into the river.

"Yeah, stories for babies." His sister added, standing on the other side of the river. Bravery. "What, do you believe it?"

"N-" She watched the integrity boy struggle breathing.

"Kade!" The boy with a bravery soul ran to his little brother. "Kade, are you alright?"

He started coughing, then caught his breath.

"We should get mom."

"No, I'm okay."

The young girl climbed down, "what happened," Chara offered. The boys looked at her doubtfully. She couldn't be older than five.

"I have asthma."

"What's that?"

"It's when you're unable to breathe."

"Oh wait, I have heard of that. Do you need an inhaler?"

"No, I'm okay right now."

"I heard you talking about humans and hybrids."

"Hybrids?"

"The feyists. They're actually called hybrids."

"Oh. What's your name?" Kade inquired.

The girl smiled. "My name is Chara."

"I'm Kade."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Do you believe in the war?"

"Well, uh, the war between humans and hybrids never happened. I fully believe the hybrids exist, but they didn't go to war with humans."

"Then what happened?"

Chara checked her watch, then looked at the other kids. "Do you have time for a story?"

"Yeah, we have a few minutes," Bravery boy stated after a moment and sat next to his brother, "by the way, my name is Austin. I'm Kade's brother."

Chara smiled brighter, before looking at the other two. The girl hopped over and sat, then it was just kindness.

He sighed, "Fiiine," and he slumped down next to Austin.