Chapter Eighteen

FADED GOLD

(July 6, 2014) (Tamuz 8) (Sunday)

"Hey, Chara?"

"Yeah?"

"What's the surface like."

"The surface?"

"Yeah."

"It--" she was going to tell him how dark and sad it was. But her farm came to mind, "it depends. Some places are beautiful. Tall green grass, warm sunshine, flowers of all colors, the sound of birds and other natures. . . Clear air. . . Kind of like this place. It's somewhere full of love and peace."

"Sounds nice."

"Other places aren't. They're gray and dirty. Trash everywhere, disgusting air, nothing grows. No birds, just cars and trucks. And the people. . ."

"Are they nice? Like you?"

"Some of them. Some will play, laugh, help you when you're hurt. Some will talk to you. . . Others are mean. They push you, hurt you, laugh at you."

"Why?"

"Because they can, because they get hurt," Chara shrugged, "they have their reasons."

"You don't hate them?"

"Not really. There's no reason to."

"But they hurt you."

"They don't anymore. Besides, I was taught to be kind and forgive others."

"Oh. What's a car? Or a truck?"

"They take you places," she found a small metallic pen and dipped it in ink before drawing a semi-decent replica of the old car her father drove. Then she drew Ms.Laura's minivan. "There are a lot of different cars, but they all do the same thing." She continued to draw the large semi trucks her father didn't like. "And this is a truck. It's giant compared to the cars and it carries things like food to stores."

"They look cool."

"You should see my tractor," she started drawing it, being a little more careful to make it look right, "we had it on the farm, it made work easier on dad. But we had to leave it when we moved to the city."

"Oh," Asriel looked up and poked his head out of the room when he heard a knock. Chara walked over to join him. They watched the queen walk over to the door, undo the lock, and open the door. "Oh, Shopkee! What brings you here?"

"I was asked to inform you that we are running out of dye for new clothing. And you know as Sivian just ended, we are nearly done collecting measurements for those who need new clothing.

"Yes, I suppose it is that time of year. Do you have an amount?"

"Yes, here's the list."

"Asriel," she called. The prince came running to take the page. "I'll get what's needed and return it to you."

"Yes," she bowed, "toda."

"Oh! One more thing. If you aren't busy, I have another child who needs measurements."

"A-another?"

"Chara,"

The young girl walked over to them.

"Shopkee, this is Chara. Chara,"

"Shalom, madam."

"Shalom. Are you the new princess?"

"Yes, madam."

"I suppose you need new clothing."

"I will soon."

"I'll take her over in a few hours. Is that okay?"

"Yes, yes. That would work fine."

"Then l'hitraot."

"L'hitraot." The bunny bowed again before making her way back to Snowdin.

"No," Chara whined, jumping up to grab her arm.

"Chara, what are you doing?"

"Don't hurt them!"

"Chara," she kneeled to be closer to the girl, "I wouldn't if I didn't have to. But people need clothing."

"You don't have to!"

"Chara,"

"Watch," she walked up to the vines, "excuse me, could we have some help? We need to make green dye but we don't know where to get any."

She waited a moment.

"We don't want to hurt any of you if it's possible."

It was quiet. Just as Toriel was about to speak, the vines started to tense or relax until there was a very crude path just big enough for Chara to fit.

"Come on, let's go!" She ran carefully along the path.

"Chara!" The queen huffed before following.

"I'm here!" She called to the no longer visible queen. Then she turned her attention to the vines. "Can I climb you?" The vines tensed and Chara started climbing.

Chara was halfway up when Toriel finally caught up. "Chara? Chara! Get down from there!"

Chara spot the flickering yellow aura and found a spot to sit. "Hello," she spoke softly to the dying vine, "I'm sure you're tired. Is it okay if I sing you to sleep?"

She listened to the gentle leave rustle, then started singing quietly,

God be with you till we meet again

By his counsels guide, uphold you

With his sheep securely fold you.

God be with you till we meet again.

The leaves blew, almost as if singing with her,

Till we meet, till we meet,

Till we meet at Jesus' feet,

Till we meet, till we meet,

God be with you till we meet again.

The vine passed about halfway through the song, but she continued singing as she gently cut and carved the vine to chunks that she started dropping down to the speechless queen.

Once what could be taken was taken, she said a quiet prayer to thank her God.

Then she climbed down. She stayed quiet as they walked back to the house.

Toriel, though not understanding Chara's current sadness, knew Asgore was much the same. She also walked in silence.