Chapter Six

FADED GOLD

(December 25, 2011) (Kislev 29) (Sunday)

"Daddy, come on!" She put her snow boots on. "We're going to be late!"

"Coming," he fixed his suit coat and bent down to add the red and green flowers to her hair before tying the dress. "There."

Chara ran across the room and grabbed their books. Jakxon opened the door for her and they carefully went down the metal steps. "It's not as cold here as it is on the farm." Chara pointed out as they walked gently through the snow.

"You're right."

Chara looked around. "The snow also isn't as clean. But that's okay. The snow will help the natures grow."

"Yes, it will."

"And maybe they won't be as sad!"

"Maybe." Jakxon loved that his daughter cared about the natures. He was the same. But she always said how sad they were. . . He didn't have her gift. He preferred to assume everyone was happy. But he knew that wasn't true. At least, not for him.

Chara stopped outside the church, looking down at the snow that blanketed the grasses. She bent down, "Merry Christmas. I hope you're sleeping peacefully."

"We'll make sure to sing to you when you wake up." Her father added, smiling.

"Okay, we can go in."

He opened it for her. The two went in, looking for a seat. "There's a lot more people."

"That's because the entire stake is here."

"Hey, look! It's Mr. Russel. I've never seen him at church before."

"Should we go talk to him?"

"Yeah!" She led her father to him. "Hi, Mr. Russel. I didn't know you came to church."

He stood, "Oh, Chara. Come sit. I don't normally come, but I love the Christmas session. They always sing such beautiful music. Hello," Chara watched him take her father's hand, "you must be Chara's father."

"Yes, my name is Jakxon."

"Oh, such a wonderful name. My name is Russel."

They all sat down and Chara spoke quietly to the older man, "I've never been here during Christmas. I like the pretty lights."

"Where are you from? I never asked."

"We lived on a farm in Idaho. I've never seen a city Christmas."

"Ah, was Christmas on the farm fun?"

"Mhm!"

"We're starting." Her father whispered to them. Chara fell silent and willingly listened to the speaker.

Chara shrieked and giggled, running away from her father. They were currently circling the couch.

The doorbell rang and Chara turned toward it. It was the opening her father needed to leap over and pick her up, tickling the young child. "Daddy! Daddy! The door!" She managed through the laughing.

"Right." He set her down and went over. There stood Kade, Austin, and their mother; all smiling brightly.

"Merry Christmas!"

Chara gasped in excitement. Her friends were here with delicious looking food and wrapped boxes. She remembered the fancy food from the farm, but they never did much for presents. She knew about them from nursery, though.

"Laura! Please, come in."

The three happily came in, the three children running to Chara's room. "Woah, you have a lot of flowers in here."

"Yeah. I use to have seven. But Perseverance died about a month ago."

"I'm surprised they aren't all dead. It is winter."

"These flowers grow year round. And natures go to sleep in winter. They don't die."

"Oh."

"Dinner is ready."

They ran out, excited. "Woah, it looks so pretty!"

The table was laced with ham, potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls, and salad. And her father had found a makeshift chair, since they only had four.

Ms.Laura smiled, "thank you."

"Can I say prayer?" Chara asked, taking a seat.

"Sure thing."

The food was amazing, and she loved having friends to share it with.