Chapter Ten

FADED GOLD

(April 9, 2013) (Nisan 29) (Tuesday)

Chara clamped her teeth. Rarely did she actually get mad, but this was annoying. Mrs.Clark had again taken her pocket knife. She wasn't even using it this time! She could not believe these people.

She folded her arms and turned away, refusing to listen to anything Mrs.Clark was saying. She didn't care how "against the rules" it was. She wasn't doing anything wrong.

"Chara, please." Mrs.Clark begged. "I know, it's a useful tool. But you have to stop bringing it."

"I wasn't even doing anything!"

"I know. But it scares others to see it."

"That's not my problem."

"No, it's not," she sighed, "but we try to help others through their problems."

Chara glanced at her; she wasn't far off from her father. Except he was a little more humorous.

"I'm going to give it to the office, and you and your father can come pick it up after school. Okay?"

"Okay." She replied, still annoyed but trying to forgive quickly. Mrs.Clark was only trying to do her best for everyone in the class.

And this story would give her father something to laugh about, just like all her "getting in trouble" stories.

Chara was buried in her book, fascinated by this new animal called a fossa.

"HI!!"

Chara yelped, bewildered at both how quiet and now loud this girl was. "U-um, hello. . ?"

"What's your name?"

"My name is Chara." With the first bough of shock gone, she could now study the newcomer.

The girl had a soul of bravery. Chara even noted that despite most bravery souls having brown eyes, this girl had orange. To accompany her bright eyes was an even brighter smile. She was going to burst with pure excitement. Her hair was a color of sun-bleached bark.

"Did. . . Did you need something?"

"Yeah, you should come play soccer with us."

"Soccer. . ?"

"Yeah!"

"I don't know how to play."

"Don't worry. It's easy. I'll show you!"

"Okay." She closed her book and followed up the hill to the field. There, waited a kindness boy. The same one who was with Kade and Austin. Dark brown, almost black, hair and dull emerald green eyes.

"Hi, Chara."

"I didn't know you went to this school. I thought you went to the same school as Austin."

He shook his head. "Austin and Kade are homeschooled. We just live in the same neighborhood."

"Oh," Chara was suddenly smacked hard in the face with a soccer ball.

She shook her head, trying to ignore the pain. She had her hair down, covering her face. It hurt, but she hated the idea of asking someone for help. Besides, there was only a few hours left. She would be fine until she could get back home to her father.

Chara jumped into a rain puddle.

"Hey, stop it." Kade whined.

"Sorry." Chara want back to walking normally.

Even though everyone else was under an umbrella, Chara was not. She didn't want to be. She liked feeling the rain as it cleaned the air and by extent, cleaned her of the air. And her father had pointed out that the trees, flowers, and grasses were happier now that there was rain. That in itself was reason enough to enjoy the falling water. Also the cold rain felt nice on her swollen face.

And she was glad the puddles provided a small amount of fun, even though it was water trapped from plants that needed it. That was another reason she jumped in the puddles. The water would splash, some of it going back into the grass next to them. The rain was a slight relief for the plants that were drifting to sleep from the cold.

And she couldn't wait for the snow, when it would blanket the grass and provide water not just to the natures around them, but to their human race as well. Which reminded her of the hybrids, making her wonder if they were affected by the rain, and if it would impact them in a positive way; or if it might cause problems.

Chara took her father's hand. "Dad, do you think the hybrids like the rain?"

"Well, their water must come from somewhere. It makes sense it would come from the mountains, just like our water."

"That's a good thing, right?"

Jakxon chuckled quietly. "Yes, that's a good thing."

If only the water had reached and cleaned her flowers.

Patience was gone.