Chapter Fifteen

FADED GOLD

(November 25, 2013) (Kislev 22) (Monday)

"Good evening, Mr.Richard."

"Good evening, Chara." He set a gentle hand on her head, the same way he did back at the farm.

"How's the farm doing?"

"It's doing great, but I think the crows miss you and your father."

"Yeah. . . Let them know what happened, okay? And tell them we won't be back for a while, but that I miss them."

"Don't fret, Chara. I'll let them know."

"Thank you."

People. So many people. Chara stared at the coffin. The beautiful coffin that held nothing but the ruin of his dismantled shell. Even if she were allowed to look inside, she would see no aura. There would be no life.

The thing inside the box. . . It was not her father. It almost made her glad; her father would never approve of being buried in something so fancy. He'd want to be buried in a field, becoming something that helped everything around him grow.

Chara reached up to straighten a rose in the dying scene. Red, white, green, and gold. The flowers were placed as if growing out of his burnt and tattered hat.

And his book. It was found damaged, but still in one piece. To be buried with him, or not?

Laura decided not. So now it sat next to the flowers and hat, later to be given to his daughter.

"How's she taking it?" Someone whispered.

"Oh, she can't be doing well."

"What do you mean, she's so young."

"Oh, dear Laura, how are you going to explain. How do you let a child know."

More whispers. So many, then never stopped. She balled her hands into fists, why did they always do this? She wasn't an idiot, she understood her father wasn't coming back. Why wouldn't they just shut up!

Chara drew breath to scream. Anything, to get them to stop. But she was overwhelmed with calmness, and instead sang:

God be with you till we meet again;

By his counsels guide, uphold you;

With his sheep securely fold you.

God be with you till we meet again.

The room quickly fell silent, listening to her song. Then the piano joined in her song. As she continued, she turned to look at everyone. No wonder there was so much whispering; there were countless people. Very few she actually knew. Most were random people in the ward.

Till we meet, till we meet,

Till we meet at Jesus' feet,

Till we meet, till we meet,

God be with you till we meet again.

As she started the second verse, a few people joined. Richard (neighbors from the farm, and the man who now cared for Jakxon's), Mr.Russel, Austin, Ms.Laura, Kade (he struggled a little).

God be with you till we meet again;

When life's perils thick confound you,

Put his arms unfailing round you.

God be with you till we meet again.

By the time the last verse had come around, everyone was singing. Lost in the voices, Chara walked over and sat next to Mr.Russel. he let her lean against him, and Chara shed her first tears over her father's death.

Till we meet, till we meet,

Till we meet at Jesus' feet,

Till we meet, till we meet,

God be with you till we meet again.