Ch. 14: Reality

Rani couldn't remember when she last kissed someone.

Matt made sure she didn't think about anything else except his lips and hands.

Her inexperience blared like a tornado siren; she didn't know where to put her hands or hips. He'd managed to pull her onto his lap but kept kissing her like his life depended on it. Every now and then, the scent of his shampoo would flow over to her. Aftershave lingered against her cheeks.

The small kisses on the corners of her lips that left shivers rumbling across her back; other ones that deep and hungry, unleashing a frenzy she wasn't aware she was capable of. He'd tilt his head to reach better, so he wouldn't hit her glasses.

Her heart couldn't take it; every slight movement with his hands made her feel sexy, even though he gently held her waist. The lightning strike of his physical attack broke down any barriers she'd set up in her heart.

When they broke apart, his chest beat up and down to the beat of his heavy breathing. Beautiful brown eyes searched her own while a smile tugged the right side of his lips.

"Wow," she mumbled.

"So?" he asked.

Why was he asking that? She couldn't manage to make any sentences right now. The feeble droplets of her brain coagulated, giving her the ability to blankly stare at him.

He tilted his head to the side and leaned against the sofa. "So, what does that kiss mean? Was I right in thinking you like me?"

Did she like him, or did she have lingering feelings for Vishnu, and they came back when she met Matt? She couldn't tell.

His hand hadn't left her waist, where his fingers tickled the indentation of her love handle. Her fingers dug into his shoulders when he found a particularly sensitive region.

Her heart didn't hurt. If anything, she craved more for the kind of attention he'd just given. But what happened then? What if she was using him because of Vishnu? Could she date Matt?

"Rani?"

She looked at him again. The last drops of her brain came back together to formulate a sentence. "I don't know, I mean—"

"What's the worst that could happen by us getting together? Cause you look like you want more." He pulled a piece of hair sweat-stuck to her face and tucked it behind her ear.

Could she date him? What if she ran into Vishnu again and Matt found out about the history?

What would her family think about her being with someone who was divorced and with a teenager? She could imagine them saying rude, mean things, judging before they even got to know him.

She didn't want to hurt someone again. Especially not this man. He didn't deserve it.

Something squeezed her heart painfully, as if the pain in her brain didn't know where to travel. It took a left turn and skedaddled to her stomach.

"If, you know, you're okay with dating me, then...sure?" she said. A fiery blush roared across her cheeks, and she looked at her lap.

"Of course, I am. I mean, was that kiss not enough of an answer?"

Their eyes met again. For a moment, she thought he moved closer. His left hand pushed the small of her back towards him. Soft lips caressed the crook of her neck and she let out a small gasp.

Charlie grunted in her sleep.

Rani forgot the teen was still in the house and embarrassment filled her heart as she scrambled off of Matt.