Ch. 17: The Gift

Rani made sure a second and final time that she had everything. The rice was stowed away in a huge Tupperware. The sambar sloshed around, next to the chicken curry, dal and potato ones.

She'd made the most basic ones, not wanting to venture out to the other sticky or bitter ones. It'd been forever since she cooked for anyone besides herself, so everything had to be perfect.

Her small car soon reeked like an old Indian auntie's house; the spices were great when they were on their own but pair up several curries and steaming rice together in a tight space and she was sweating two minutes into her drive.

Charlie sat on the steps outside of her house as Rani drove up. How the teen wasn't sick of the hot weather was beyond Rani's realm of thinking. There had been a few days of unbearable heat, but with November looming around the corner, Rani had dug out all her sweaters.

Rani's shirt stuck to her stomach and boobs. The dark, loose top didn't reveal the extent of the water damage, but she felt icky. She fanned herself in front of the car's AC until someone knocked on her window.

Matt leaned against the back door as she got out. His hair stuck up everywhere as it usually did, and a lawn of stubble highlighted both cheeks.

He gave her a quick kiss before saying, "This brings back memories."

"When I forgot my shirt at your place?"

"No, I think you're referring to the day when you ran out of my house."

The mischievous grin on his face meant he teased her but guilt slowly crept up her throat. That was not a memory she wanted to revisit. Her and her stupid awkward thoughts. "It wasn't on purpose you know."

Ram's lecture definitely hadn't helped her that night.

Matt snorted. "Well, you're not running away this time."

She piled some of the curries and rice into his arms, before grabbing the rest and locking her car. As they neared the house, Charlie opened the door.

"Hey Ms. Rani. What'd you bring?" Charlie started peeking through the plastic boxes before finding the sweets and sneaking some out.

"Charlie—" Matt warned.

"It's okay. Here's snacks." Rani handed over a large container. "The curries I'll set up over there."

Charlie grabbed them before hopping on a sofa in the living room and reading her textbook.

Rani took Matt's arm and steered him to the kitchen. "How are you?" she whispered.

"Better. Lawyers called today to set up the meeting and it'll be next week. Better sooner than later."

Something was wrong though. His voice had a hint of anger mixed in.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I'm fucking pissed that Holly couldn't tell us sooner. She could have and she chose to waste time. We could have said, you know, goodbye."

"Have you thought about visiting a therapist? Just to help process—"

"I don't need a therapist. I think Charlie might need one though, but I don't know how to approach it with her. She tends to close herself off to others." Matt crossed his arms, as if shutting off the opportunity for him.

"Why do you think you don't need one?"

"I can handle it on my own—"

"With everything going on? It can't hurt one time. Besides, if you think Charlie would have trouble opening up, wouldn't it be easier if she had someone she knew and trusted to be there with her? Group and family therapy isn't unheard of these days."