5. The Suriel (Persephone)

"I thought you said that I had to wait until the lands were safe before I was allowed off the estate grounds," Percy said as she trailed her fingers over Rose's saddle. It was one of the finest in the stables, with delicate depictions of roses carved into it so that Percy could trace the outlines of them. 

One her ninth birthday - the first that she spent in the Spring Court - Andras had gifted her the gentle mare, Rose, from his father's ranch, and her father had given her the saddle. Well, this was a new one, but the carvings were the same per her request. The original had been smaller - suited for a child. 

Though she didn't actually need the help, Lucien boosted her to sit atop Rose. "Well, it's not as if we're actually leaving the grounds," he said dismissively. 

Percy frowned. Generally, her invisible wall was the edge of the gardens, but on occasion she'd been allowed into the meadows beyond that bordered the Western woods. 

She wanted to argue, but what was the point really? She was getting what she wanted -  a ride. It was just strange considering that he'd turned her down just the day before with claims that it was too dangerous. 

She could make out the sounds of Lucien mounting his own horse and soon enough they were moving. Rose had been specially trained by Andras for a blind rider, and rather than follow her lead on trail rides, Rose followed the horse in front of her. Percy could always take control of the reins if it ever became necessary, but it was easier for her and her horse this way. 

"Aren't you meant to be babysitting the human today?" Percy found herself asking Lucien. They didn't typically just leave Feyre to her own devices. "Where is she?" 

Lucien was silent for a moment before answering, "Here... there... around." 

Percy huffed out a breath. "Well, that's encouraging. Someone is tending to her though, right? Alis or someone?" 

Lucien sighed impatiently. "Persephone, she's fine." 

Oh, he was most definitely up to something with the human. Had she not already known that her father was patrolling their lands for monsters that had slipped past the borders, she might have thought that the two of them were together. As in bed together. 

"Alright," Percy murmured unconvinced. 

Lucien cleared his throat. "The only way I got Moira to drop your lessons today was with the promise I'd have you practice your sidesaddle."

Percy couldn't hide her wince. She loved riding, but sidesaddle was not something she thought she could ever master, nor did she see the point in it. 

"Then why did you allow me to wear trousers?" she complained.

Lucien snorted. "Since when do I have any control over your wardrobe? Honestly, I'm surprised Moira even lets you keep your clothes in your room. She's the one that picks out your daily frilly dress." 

"You're in a fine mood today," Percy grumbled.