2: N U G G E T S

Nuggets! Only on the weekends. But it's the only thing in the fridge that's edible. That broccoli at the back looks blue.. literally.

***

DING! A very loud ding! Why is it always louder at night?! Why can't it just be quiet like during the day?! I sigh. Good thing my parents are heavy sleepers. I take out a small plate and fork and open the air fryer door.

"Ohh," My mouth opens wider and my jaw drops. There it is. The beautiful golden brown of the crisp, warm chicken nuggets. The scent of fresh, cooked food fills the kitchen.

I eat all of my nuggets without even realizing.

A knock on the front door pulls me from my thoughts. I stand up to see who it is. Who would come over this late? It was already way past 10 PM at this point. I shrug. Maybe there was an animal or something. Or maybe my neighbor had a dog. That's not unlikely, right?

Another hard thud interrupts my thoughts and knocks again. Now, whoever it is seems pretty insistent. I walk over to the door and swing it open. The mailman??

"Mailman Paul? Why are you here on Sunday night?" He smiles, probably embarrassed by my comment. "Yeah, this was supposed ta come on Friday, but the appointments kinda got outta hand."

God, I hate his southern-ass voice.

"Here. For yer dad. Business related, just leave it at their room's doorstep." He closes the door. I know this isn't business stuff. There's a literal rose taped to the letter.

I walk up the stairs and slide it under my parents' door.