Chapter 17

You must control her.

I can't.

Then eliminate her.

I can't.

You are weak. Let me take over.

I can't. I won't let you.

Why not?

I am in love.

~

The sound of a quiet door shutting awoke Airi. She glanced around in a state of panic. Where was she?

"I'm here for you."

At the fire, upon the intricate designs of the carpet, Airi and Akashi sat. He said nothing to her, just crying. At some point, she started crying too though she didn't know why. In the haze of blurry memories, she vaguely made out being carried by someone, mumbling a thanks as she was set on a bed.

She was in Akashi's home.

Oh my god she was in Akashi's home.

Scrambling up, she took in her surroundings. There was a desk in the corner, with files upon files upon files. There was also a wardrobe, half open and filled with expensive suits, button up shirts, and a few ties. It struck her that this was a bedroom.

Oh my god she was in Akashi's room.

Glancing at the clock, her eyes widened as she saw the time. 3:47am. How did she wake up this early?

"...wrong... you..."

Muffled voices caught her attention. Leaning against the door, she could hear the voices of her friend along with another voice. The voice of an older male.

"There is nothing wrong with me, father."

"How dare you cry in front of a girl. Pathetic. What kind of man are you?"

There was silence in response. Even without seeing him, she could hear the venom from Akashi's father's voice. The hurtful words he spat out was amplified by his tone and brutality.

"I give you one simple task and you still manage to embarrass me. I told you to befriend her, not lose your fucking shit in front of her."

Told... him? Told him to befriend her?

The truth dawned on her as more words hissed out of Akashi Masaomi's mouth.

"I told you to read her files, her reports, anything. You failed to produce results."

Akashi Seijuro used her. Her best friend had used her. Her only friend used her.

The truth hurt more than she could ever imagine. After being harassed and targeted in her middle school years, being alone and having no-one to rely on, she though she knew it all.

Every conversation, every word, every lunch time they shared together. It was nothing but a chore to Akashi Seijuro in order to boost his father's company.

Covering her mouth from releasing a sob, Airi found it hard to breathe. Blurry vision in the dark room, her legs wobbled a little as she made her way to the window.

She had to get away.

The pain in her heart was something that she read in romance novels, the pain of being betrayed and hurt by someone you loved. The realisation so Earth-shattering, so violent, that it felt as though her heart was being ripped out of her chest. She never thought it could happen to her.

Peering over the ledge, she made out only a few metres in height.

Anything is better than being here.