Chapter 22

Airi watched as the ball was tossed up for the tip-off. There seemed to be a little bit of banter between Akashi and Midorima, though they both looked serious and ready. She watched as Midorima's high three swished into the basket repeatedly.

At quarter time, the score was 16-16. Airi tossed each player their bottles and towels. After many games, she knew it was more efficient to throw it to them rather than pass it.

Akashi had made smart passes, watching carefully the status of both the opponents and his teammates. Glancing at the opposition's bench, she saw Takao Kazunari looking at Akashi, confusion written on his face. It spelled out 'what the heck is happening? why is he so normal?' loud and clear.

"Yunabami, any input?"

"Hmm... they're going to try and make a move soon so make sure you don't stray from Sei-kun's plan."

Some snickers were heard and she looked up from her notebook to the source of the sound. Hayama and Eikichi were covering their mouths.

"Is something the matter?"

"Pfftttt... Sei-kun..."

Rolling her eyes, she threw her notebook at Kotaro's head. The unsuspecting blond got bonked with the heavy book.

"You sound like you're dating him," Eikichi snorted in disbelief.

"She is."

Was that even okay to say? They literally just started their romantic relationship. Airi could feel her face flush at the surreal thought.

At Akashi's words, Reo choked on his water and Kotaro blinked a couple of times.

Silence. Then,

"EHHH?!"

Even coach looked surprised.

"Ri-chan... my condolences." Kotaro saluted.

"Kotaro, I will bench you if you continue," Akashi threatened with his usual cold expression. Kotaro immediately straightened up and kept quiet.

"Double team Midorima. Kotaro can take on Miyaji Kiyoshi by himself," Akashi instructed, standing up. The clock went off and the second quarter began.

~

Airi couldn't help but watch in amazement as Akashi's plan was executed. His strategic play was absolutely astounding to her. If she didn't know he slowed his pace down, she wouldn't be able to tell.

With his emperor eye, Akashi stopped Midorima before shooting as well as stopped him from escaping him. With a simple ankle break on Takao, the third quarter ended with it being in Rakuzan's favour by 14 points.

Airi handed out their full water bottles, an unsettling feeling stirring at the put of her stomach. Something was about to happen and she hoped Akashi could stop it.

The whistle blew for the fourth quarter to begin.

~

"With a score of 86-70, Rakuzan wins! Bow!"

The relief that the game was finally over flooded Airi.. However, this wasn't the end of her worries. She watched, along with the rest of the team, as Midorima approached Akashi.

The greenette hesitated for a moment before extending his hand out.

"We lost but next time, we will win."

Akashi looked him directly in the eyes before looking a little distastefully at his extended hand.

"I should thank you, Shintaro. It's been a while since I've had a thrilling game. Unfortunately, I can't shake your hand. If you desire victory, you must become cold-hearted. Victory is everything. I wish to be your enemy."

"I see. You haven't changed since back then. Nonetheless, we will win next time," Midorima returned the sharp gaze before heading back to his team.

Just when she thought Akashi was secretly a nice person, she was reminded of who he really was and what he really valued. The air around the team was silent and tense as Akashi wordlessly picked up his bag and led the way out. Letting out a sigh of relief that nothing violent came of that, she stood up and grabbed the club bag in order to vacate the area for the next teams...

Seirin and Kaijo.

"Let's go back to the hotel and rest up. We will have our post game meeting and brief later today," Akashi ordered, "for now, sleeping and eating is vital."

The team filed onto the bus, the stink and humid air nearly killing Airi. Hurriedly, she grabbed bottles of spray deodorant from the club bag and tossed it to her team who thanked her gratefully.

"Airi can we have that yudofu for dinner-" a snore overtook Kotaro and he fell fast asleep mid-sentence on Reo's shoulder. She swore she heard Reo mutter something vaguely sounding like, "disgusting sweat-monster."

Her eyes gazed around the small bus and saw Akashi patting the seat next to him and she took the hint. Putting her bag under the seat, she sat down next to him and plugged in her headphones.

It was funny to think that just a few days ago, she refused to speak to him. As of yesterday, they were officially a couple.

"Airi-chan."

Head snapping up, she locked eyes with Seijuro who was fighting sleepiness off.

"Hmm?"

"Can I listen?"

Did he just... ask? Did Akashi ever ask for anything? Thinking back to the last time she shared her earphones with him, she distinctly remembered him demanding one side and she had gave it to him.

"Airi-chan?"

"Huh? Oh, of course," Taking out one side and wiping it a little on her skirt, she handed it to him and he graciously accepted and put it in.

"I've heard this before, though I don't know the name."

"It's the Yuri On Ice OST."

"The anime?"

"Yes. I haven't watched it, just heard the music."

"I see..."

His voice trailed off as his head fell upon Airi's shoulder. Eyes wide, she looked down and saw Seijuro fast asleep.

He looked... cute.

A small smile crept on her face as she fanned the still sweaty boy with her notebook. Pushing his fringe out of his eyes, she admired him. Before she knew what she was doing, she had pulled out her phone and took a picture of the boy. Checking that it was alright, her fangirling came to a stop when she saw an email notification pop up at the top of her screen and a sinking feeling overtook her as she clicked on the bar.

From: Terano <3
To: Yunabami3012
Subject: Warning

Airi, be careful. Kirari is coming for you. I don't know when or how or why, but watch out.